By Humbug - 27/12/2009 00:34 - United States

Today, I checked my email after a week of no cell reception or internet while I was stuck at a family holiday cottage. There was an email offering me the RA job I've been trying to get for almost a year, telling me congratulations and to reply by Friday if I accepted. Last Friday. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 654
You deserved it 3 709

Same thing different taste

Top comments

call them and explain the situation to them and tell them you've been out of town, it might work...

XxDarkSatoshixX 0

@#4 do you read??? it says no internet or cell phone reception.

Comments

octi1026 0

that's how people start to appreciate the "auto-reply" option of their email accounts....

That's exactly what I thought. If you can't answer your email for a period of time you should turn on your vacation settings, especially if you are waiting to hear about a job! I'm sure if they got the auto-response they would have held the job for a few more days.

Reply anyway and explain about how you had no internet access the whole week, if they were really interested in having you, they'll understand and still hire you

letitbe56 0

If they had other candidates, they probably contacted whoever was next on the list after the deadline passed and the OP didn't respond. Your solution only works if the position is still open.

letitbe56 0

If you were expecting to hear about a job, you should have called them and told them where you could be reached, or at least put up an automatic reply message saying where you could be reached for urgent matters--or that you could not be reached at all if that's the case. However, I find it strange that they gave you Christmas as the deadline. The only other way this FML makes sense is if the OP was away for more than a week. Or "today" doesn't really refer to today.

Call them and ask them if they received your message accepting the job.

Perhaps they purposefully called at a time when they knew you might not get back to them? ... (It's just a thought.) Anyway, it looks like it's time to get some better coverage.

miserableRA 0

Hi OP. Honestly, being an RA is not the best job. You've dodged a bullet. I should know: I've been an RA for the past 2 and a half years.

I highly doubt they would want you to respond by Friday... however if they did, then I'd just explain to them that during the HOLIDAYS you were out of town and had no internet or cell phone service and ask if the opening is still available.

Respond and tell them the situation. Hopefully they will understand. If not, kill your family.

maybe it was after Xmas. think on that