By Anonymous - 13/04/2011 10:19 - Australia

Today, I came out to my parents. They nodded empathetically throughout my entire speech and told me repeatedly that it was okay. As I smiled and stood up, my dad asked, "But you're still going to marry a guy, right?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 535
You deserved it 8 121

Same thing different taste

Top comments

oz2sd 0

congratulations, that was a big step.

Babushka_Homyak 10

No worries, OP. Your dad will realize you're serious when you start bringing girls home. Happy hunting!

Comments

Babushka_Homyak 10

Aaand coment bug decides to put my comment as reply. Oops.

jordanprodigy023 0

Now your parents won't be blessed with any grandchildren. So sad so sad

FHGrif 0

Think it through man, adoption, artificial insemination

canttouchthis90 0

gay people can still have kids of their own

Lady_Blaze 7

As an adopted child, me, my parents, and my grandparents all say "Screw you :D" for insinuating that the love and bond between adopted children and their families is any less powerful for having not been born into them.

when i came out to my parents, my dad said he never wanted to see me again, and he was serious. FOL.

ah good ole Dad. with a capital D for Douchebag

sweet_blue 3
duckiecrazy 0

that sucks I'm sorry. my family isn't accepting of me either

s10biker 1

Don't try to make this fml about you -_-

102 - People can't share their experiences anymore?

You're only 17. Maybe you should've waited a while before 'coming out.' Like, at least until you were actually an adult.

MissMittens 0

why? no one should ever have to wait. douche.

Alicia17C 2

who cares about the age ur born ur sexuality! and her parents wouldn't b more accepting if she came out at an older age, they r suppose to still take care of her at 17 but not later on so they would have been quicker to disown her. good for u for coming out OP! I'm sorry they don't accept u for who u r.

lakeybalboa 0

i think its because your homeless

pablothepenguin 2

No I agree at 17 what have you seen of the world? Not too much, who ever made that comment about waiting was totally right.

171-- Uhm. . you're not necessarily born your sexuality. OP could be trying out something new

180 - you're a dumbass - for one when I was 17 I had way more experiences than many adults had in their lifetime. don't base it on a number and you dont have to "see the world" to know you're homosexual. I support op and everyone who is honest about their sexuality. age doesn't matter on this. FYL - hopefully he can try to understand or you could show him how to understand.. :)

the only reason I have ever seen for someone to wait to come out is when you are younger your parents can take away privileges and sometimes kick you out of your home

chillamastr92 0

At 17, your parents may think you aren't serious, and it's just a phase, or that she's just experimenting. I'm not saying it was a horrible idea, just that it may have been better if you waited until you were a bit older.

No but it's smart not to if you know you could potentially be kicked out because of it.

I didn't live with my dad, i was in a foster family. I just wanted them to know. My foster parents accept me tho. And honestly, my 13 year old brother is bi. He's alot more mature than most of the guys of his age, though i do think that's a bit young x'3

people are not born gay. it's a choice people make.

so 203 is the "I know it all person"?? if so do you know what your parents do or did? what age did they have you? chances are you have not done anything close. most parents have done more then we have even by the age of 30 not many. sometimes we do more then them but rarely. You could be in the rarely but still this is the Internet so I will and most will go with "they have done more".

my dad is a racist homophobe in denial, if I came out he would beat me up o.o but I'm not gay so I don't need to worry ^~^ still hate his guts tho

I can imagine it being tough for any parent to accept, that their child is playing for the other team. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle that, if God forbid, it happens to me down the road. At least this person had the courage to come out...

I hope your kids turn out gay just for that.

Thats an understandable outlook. No one wants their child sporting for something they don't agree with, assuming you don't particularly agree with ****/bisexuality. But they're still the same child that you raised and loved, the same baby you held and the same teenager you fought with. The only difference is now you know something new about them! As long as you keep loving them, then all will turn out fine.

shakethat 10

having a gay son or daughter is not the end of the world. I would want them to feel comfortable enough to come out instead of living a lie their whole life.

if i could give you the finger over this then i would. 'god forbid', get over yourself!

TheDrifter 23

Look at it this way, when it comes time to take your lesbian daughter out for the ceremonial 18th (or local drinking age) outing you won't have to worry about your drinking buddies making a pass at her, it'll be like drinking with your son. With luck she might even understand and forgive the looks her father gives to well adorned and shapely teen women's derrieres.

people who think like you should die, just saying.

boatkicker 4

herminoneguerin, who are you talking to?

You are right hermione, heterosexual people should just die. That wont complicate the human species living on. I must say, you are a GREAT advocate for supporting homosexual awareness. And you seem pretty smart with your tongue.

But... not all heterosexual people think the same way. You make no sense.

FMLsOhilarious 6

#36 That was mean. I think it'd be tough for any parent to accept. Don't be so harsh :/

Jrefinne 7

Apparently your parents don't quite understand the connection between love and marriage.

when It came out that I'm bi my parents just blew it off like I'm going through a phase.... sucks for them that I'm gonna stay this way forever... and any parent who can't except there child for who they really are needs to go **** themselves.... I'm sorry op for what you must be dealing with.

it's just a phase. your 15. everyone thinks they are bi at that age.

first off you don't know me so you need to shut the **** up and second I'm not changing and if this was a phase then I would have grown out of it by now because I've been like this since I was 12. so **** OFF BITCH!

natural_blues 0

i think for some people being bisexual can just be a "phase", but many people are actually attracted to both sexes (myself included=D). it sucks that bisexuals are seen as a joke, just because slutty teenage girls think it's cute to makeout with their girl friends to attract attention from guys. but i know true bisexuality exists because i feel sexual attraction towards both sexes, and develop "ohmygodyoursocuteijustwanttoholdyouandmakeoutwithyouandeatyouallday" crushes on girls and boys all the time. :) *props if you could read the part in quotations, bytheway:P

Hate to say it, but he has a point. There is a lotta sexual confusion in the teenage years, and you don't know how you may develop in the next 10 years or so. Plus if every teenager who said they were bi actually was, then it would make for a very interesting study...what with the number of bisexuals magically increasing several fold over the course of a single generation. But if you're interest in both genders is persistent, then that is that. Enjoy it.

Reading the bit in quotations was just as easy to read as the rest.

somehow I want to say "cranky *****" because it seems like it's go quite well with your general aura.

RainbowHeadache 2

47. If you dressed more appropriately for you age maybe people would take you more seriously. Going off on people isn't the way to be taken seriously either. Makes you look like just another hot headed teenager. On the topic of the FML, I'm bisexual & have been since I was 12. Sometimes you grow out of it, sometimes you don't. I told my parents & fam when I was 12 and they still think I'm not serious. And they've met a few girlfriends I've had. Some people just refuse to believe their kid is different than they'd like for them to be.

why should I dress any different? I have the body why not show it off?

RainbowHeadache 2

Yes, you should show your body off, but there is a time and a place for it. When I see a person who doesnt know when and where it is appropriate to show their form, I get the impression that their body is the only thing they have going for themselves. I might assume that they are unintelligent, and if they are young, that they are naive and easy to take advantage of. Based on your picture, this is the first impression that I get from you, and I wouldn't take you serious in any sort of conversation(not at first at least). Of course, I could be entirely wrong, but I only have so much information with which to paint a picture of who you are. Plus, it is entirely possible for a woman to show off her beauty and still appear interesting, intelligent, and well rounded. I believe the term would be "classy".

RainbowHeadache 2

^ agreed. And from your comments, picture & profile information you seem like an attention seeker. If that's the case you'll only get the wrong kind of attention.

@ "nothingtodisplay", you're 15 years old and you look like a hooker. I'm sorry, but you do. You're probably a very nice kid, but unfortunately for you, no one is going to see that as long as you keep dressing like trash. You could be a genius with a beautiful, funny, attractive personality, but all anyone is going to see when they look at you is a lot of skin and a big neon "I'M EASY" sign floating above your head. You probably enjoy the attention it gets you right now, but trust me, once you get out into the big bad world, you're going to be over your head dealing with nasty creeps who think that the way you present yourself means you're going to **** them without any hesitation. And some of those creeps think it's ok to take what they want, with or without your consent, because you were "asking for it" with the way you dress. I'm not saying this to be a bitch, hon. I'm saying this because I have had some very dear friends who have been raped, abused and taken advantage of at a young age, and I can tell you right now that "flaunting it" is a really good way to put yourself in a very bad situation.

RainbowHeadache 2

I didn't want to bring up the rape scenario but I'm glad you did. This happened to my little cousin when she was 15 and she swore up and down that shes not stupid. And that she knows how to take care of herself. But because of how she dressed, and the boy admitted that that's why and because she was a tease, he raped her. Granted it's not all girls who dress like ***** who get raped.

Don't be offended cmyk, she's just a confused teenager.

you're going to stay bi and never settle down with anyone? well, whatever floats your boat

chammi 0

24, you're disgusting for feeling that way about the people that gave you life. Not to mention that you look like a heroin infested street hooker. I'm sure they have their reasons.

hey 229, obviously every child in existence has to bow down and respect their awful parents for all eternity while they spit at their way of life, now I recommend you keep your opinions loosely based on logic or gtfo

I'm sorry, parents never seem to understand.

Because they give you a life and the children throw curve balls at them that they weren't expecting.

moleSG 6

Gah, unlucky OP. Sure your dad'll come round eventually. Good going on making the step to tell them though. :)