By Anonymous - 07/12/2012 15:30 - United States

Today, I came home to find a mouse in the garage. Frantic, I killed it. My 7-year-old son came home from soccer, and started crying because he couldn't find the class pet, Mr. Whiskers. I killed my son's class pet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 689
You deserved it 18 296

Same thing different taste

Top comments

3rdbass 9

The mouse wasn't asking for a cookie. You didn't need to kill him.

Comments

was it not in some sort of cage? and he didnt even ask if he could take a pet round, your son just left the mouse running around your garage? how were you supposed to know, FYL

Exactly my thoughts. I apologise if I seem judgemental, but how can your 7yo bring home a pet and you be completely oblivious!?

Oh no!! What a sucky situation! D: I feel so bad for both you and your son!! Maybe you can replace it, and not break his heart? D:

What kind of parenting is it that you don't even know it's your childs turn to bring home the class pet? YDI.

This is what I was thinking. My school had a few pets and the teachers all required written permission from the parents to let the kids take them home over the weekend. I can't imagine the OP not knowing and not supervising the kid. Plus the overreaction to a pretty much harmless creature.

They same type of parents that would eat a turkey their child nursed back to health.

JAMSM 6

So children never trick parent into signing thing without reading, or forge signatures? You can't assume the parent is at fault. It could be either the child or the parent. But the one most at fault is the stupid as mouse for leaving the cage

61, Yes, because rodents are responsible for their actions. Anyway, OP's husband or wife may be then one responsible for keeping track of the children's schooling and stuff like that, while OP may be primarily concerned with other responsibilities.

Are you all crazy? Op probably did give permission.. But she probably thought that the pet was in a different room in the cage. If any of y'all see a mouse y'all will probably kill it.

Or maybe dad gave consent while mom wasn't home and he hadn't had a chance to tell mom yet?

I was thinking why wasn't it in a cage? And if it was than why are you killing it then? Like.. This isn't good parenting for (if they live together or have another guardian) on anyone's part... Ydi

If you can't tell the difference between a 7yo's fake signature and the mom's real one, you probably shouldn't be a teacher.

olpally 32

The game of "mouse trap" came to mind... You did it wrong, op. D:

Why YDI, I always forget to tell my parents about school stuff. don't blame him for not knowing.

Why did you kill the mouse? It was a mouse and not rat or roach

So? Are we discriminating according to size now?

JAMSM 6

More like species discrimination, but if you're against species discrimination, then by all means, go marry a newt.

63- Towns person: She's a witch! She turned me into a newt! Inquisitor: A newt? Towns person: I got better.

If it's okay to kill a mouse and not say... a cat, isn't that also discriminating based on size? Cats are equally as capable of carrying disease as mice - the only difference is that they're more widely viewed as pets that pests. YDI OP, maybe next time you should think about buying a container trap rather than killing something that chose to live about as much as you did. inb4 people tell me all about mice and breeding, you're too late, humans are already overpopulated and apparently more caring of details about mouse-deaths rather than valuing sentient life.

RocketNinjaFish 12

127: I agree completely. Mice and rats are no worse than other animals. I've had both as pets and they never caused us any harm. People need to stop hating these animals so much, they're harmless. The son's mouse wasn't doing anything wrong at all, and the OP didn't have the right to take it's life. It's a sin to kill a mockingbird.

osm1989_fml 6

Your comment wasn't entirely relevant, except for the fact that a newt was mentioned, but a Monty Python reference gets a thumbs up in my book. This was also irrelevant.

But it's fine to kill a bluejay. You may need to re-read to kill a mockingbird

Seems like Mrs Whiskers is a widow now. RIP

echosaints 5

When i was in school almost every kid who got to take a class pet home came back without it. Don't worry teachers understand, but I would had gone ane get a new mouse if ur kid was upset.

Also who mentionned releasing it into the wild? killing it would be quik and way better. pet mice can't get food in the wild because they're not used to get their own food they would die a slow painfull death of starvation.

Think about this a little more. She went into her garage. Saw an unfamiliar animal. Apparently had no knowledge of her son bringing home a class pet. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume OP thought it was a wild mouse to begin with....

It sounds like the OP thought it was a wild mouse and didn't realise it was a pet mouse

ur2nvthis85 3

There are people in the world that die a slow death of starvation as well. Kill them too because they can't access food? It's the fact that it's a living thing. The cycle is more natural to let it go and possibly let it find another place to find food, like a neighbors house. This way the death of a living creature, pest or not, isn't in the hands of the exterminator.

JAMSM 6

56 - so suffering is better than death? This is a question of ethics. Let a creature suffer, on the chance it outlives said suffering, or spare it through means of death?

BlueFlatts 20

56 - So you would release a possibly disease ridden animal on your neighbors house? What a nice person you are because of course you don't want a guilty conscience. It's not like they could possibly get bitten and they're so nice they would just let it live with them.

ur2nvthis85 3

"Release into the wild"...no control over where it would end up. A neighbor's house, a meal for the cat, dying of starvation. My point is many don't value life in whatever form and if you are proposing that this pet that was once in a child's classroom is diseased? Doubtful or that's another FML all together.

ur2nvthis85 3

65- An aspect of life is ambiguity. By removing that with the definite death is unethical.

I'm sure that's not what they meant at all - 56 does have a point and so do you. But they aren't being a bad person by deciding to release it I think.