By Username - 18/02/2011 05:19

Today, I came home to a lease violation and a $220 fine after a routine pest control visit. The violation: my single beta fish in a small bowl. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 459
You deserved it 4 962

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If the lease says no pets then you totally deserve it.

ryukk_fml 3

wtf? how is that a lease violation?

Comments

clockworkrainbow 3

It's betta, not beta. Just sayin'.

for a fish! ! that's not right :-( ... my dad made a "no pet" thing when people were trying to move in ... no one listened lol guy up stairs got a dog :p and some other people got lizards you don't see us making them pay a fine -_-

imagen you cant rent the flat out to anyone with allergies. your a weak landlord.. good luck getting damages payed for when they trash your flat :D

Bob31_fml 4

you mean betta, right? no such thing as a "beta fish."

jahr4mkr 1

OP It's the same way at my apartment complex. The pet policy says that if you even want a goldfish, you have to first pay a $250 pet deposit, and then an additional $30.00/ month pet rent. What I find to be absolutely ridiculous is that the policy is supposed to protect the apartment for future renters (like the paint and carpet, etc) but when we arrived the place was already in disrepair. There were oil/ tar stains in the carpet and the paint is so cheap if you put the trash can next to the wall it'll rub off where the lid opens. If you can afford to move, I'd break the lease early, have a friend w/ a dog pretend to be interested in renting an apartment, and while he's there let his dog shit on the carpets of your building's office before you leave and then say "oh good thing my betta fish never made such a mess in my apartment or I'd probably have to pay you damages" and then both of you run out laughing your asses off :)

Lexi305 0

Say its not your pet. Say its your dinner!!

What?!?! it's their building - they have every right to refuse pets!

so a betta fish is an infringement on a "No Pet" policy... yet betta and other fish are forgotten in the "Animal Cruelty" Law...case in point, betta cups at your walmart/etc

kitkatgirl2596 0

You got fined for havin your single fish in a small bowl??? wtf?!?

Fishfanatic 7

I have no sympathy for you OP. In fact you disgust me. I'm quite curious to know what degree of idiocy led you to believe that it's either ok or normal to keep a betta in a bowl? These fish do not and have never lived 24/7 in 1-2 gallons of water in the wild. Being able to *survive* ( this is not = to having a decent life ) such conditions, is not a remotely logical reason to keep the fish in that condition permanently. You are committing basic animal cruelty. A a BARE MINIMUM a single betta require 5 gallons ( 35litres) , heavily planted with live or silk plants. The MYTH that bettas dislike large spaces is just that, a myth. What they actually dislike is OPEN spaces. Betta tanks should be thickly planted for cover and resting spots. In the wild these fish live in densely vegetated waters, not a small puddle filled with clown sick gravel and a spongebob squarepants ornament. Also contrary to myth, they DO require filtration. The tank should be fully cycled with ammonia and tested for 6 weeks prior to adding ny fish of any kind. The best filtration for a betta is a sponge filter. They're easy to run, cheap and wll not damage the fishes long fins. Sponge filters also have very minimal water flow/current, which is perfect for bettas as they prefer slow moving water ( not still water) They also require heat. The tank needs a small heater, set to 26 degrees C. Bettas are tropical fish, and unless you live in Cambodia or another exceptionally warm country, your house or room will not reach the correct temperature or remain constant. The tank will also need to have half it's water canged for fresh dechlorinated water every single week. This removes excess solid waste and nitrates and will prevent the fish from becoming diseased. Do your goddamn research.

Matt_192 6

I hate to dispute someone named "fishfanatic", but wild betta can be found living in drainage ditches and puddles. Maybe those are just the poor ones?

Boredumm 6

always see them in small bottles in pet stores... just sitting there

@ krez - one thing you're forgetting - fish don't have feet, so when water drys up and they are trapped in the holes its cause they can't do otherwise. @ Boredumm - if I lock you up in a small bare room, how long will it be before you'll just sit there?

Damn I was totally gonna say this but not nearly in as much detail. I'm impressed!

if this is the case, EVERYONE who has fishes are committing animal cruelty. Even the zoo. It's ONE Betta. you tellin me u will waste about 500-100 bucks for one Betta? that's stupid. chill out.