By pittman137 - 30/07/2013 16:29 - United States - Nampa

Today, I called to confirm the appointment that I made over six months ago at the tattoo studio. Turns out my particular artist "doesn't work Tuesdays" and that they also miraculously have no record of my appointment, nor the cash deposit I had to put down. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 772
You deserved it 7 965

pittman137 tells us more.

pittman137 5

OP here. Different username since I didn't have an account when I wrote this. Just thought I'd do a little follow up. As far as the no receipt thing, yea, I know, shame on me. I'm getting more work done on an existing tattoo and this is the place where I had started at, so I didn't think much of it. This particular shop is known for how great the artists there are, so it is worth the six month wait (to me at least). It ends up the guy I had made the appointment with had quit the shop and taken his appointment book with him, so they had to way to contact me about it and apparently he isn't as professional as I thought since he didn't contact me either to let me know he moved shops. The shop itself was able to move some things around and I'm still able to get my work done at my time, just with a new artist so everything has worked out. Thanks for all the comments!

Top comments

afallingstar 22

Wow. Put a cash deposit down and don't request a receipt? Kinda dumb OP and most legitimate places would offer one...

I know a lot of people who would. Tattoos can be extremely risky and expensive. I would wait 6 months for a reputable, safe artist than to get an immediate appointment with an unsafe artist with a bad reputation. The only mistake on ops part would be not keeping the deposit receipt.

Comments

K410 18

Who waits 6 months for a tatoo?

A lot of people will wait if they want it done at a specific shop or by a certain artist

I made my appointment 3 months early since I had to wait until I was 18 to get the tattoo.

I know a lot of people who would. Tattoos can be extremely risky and expensive. I would wait 6 months for a reputable, safe artist than to get an immediate appointment with an unsafe artist with a bad reputation. The only mistake on ops part would be not keeping the deposit receipt.

I will wait my whole life for tattoo, if you know what I mean.

I waited 2 so i could get an artist that i wanted and OP should have kept the receipt or some proof of the transaction

I love my artists. He is one of the best in town. I never even make an appointment. I just wake up wanting a tattoo and go get it.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

I understand waiting, but why the hell would you put a deposit down? That is what makes no sense to me. You never pay upfront for a tattoo. At least around here that's unheard of.

Tattoo artists usually have their clients put down cash deposits due to clients canceling last minute. Then the artist has a gap of time that they could have had a paying client. So most have people put down deposits to ensure their compensated if you decide not to show up. Its a common practice that's totally normal.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

I live in a rural area so the tattoo shops aren't too busy. I know people have to wait for an opening, I just never heard about placing money down for that day.

Exactly 36, tattoos are expensive and the artist can stand to make a good chunk of money from a session. So at least if the person cancels its not a complete waste of that reserved time. They're basically risking their income for that day if a people decide just not to show up and there is no deposit.

I dont but i'm impatient, but my ex has half a sleeve done n he's been waiting like a yr to finish it, his artist has alotttttt of clients, long wait list

My friend had to put down a large deposit because the tattoo artist took time to draw him a personalized piece. My friend wanted a Buddha with a dragon and his two kids' names written in tribal lettering. The artist took his ideas and sketched him picture. That takes a lot of time to do.

Where I live every place I know of makes you pay a deposit before booking your appointment. At the shop I always go to it's 92$. And as for waiting six months, I can see that. I had to wait 5 months for my last tattoo because my favorite artist is one of the best and most popular in the city. I'd rather wait a year for him than go somewhere sketchy and get it right away, though.

tjv3 10

Who puts down a cash deposit for a tat? Or who doesn't get a receipt after putting down a cash deposit?

81, people above have already explained why people pay a deposit- maybe read those before making a comment. To recap, it's so that if people cancel at the last minute (which is less likely if people have already paid at least part of it), the tattoo studio doesn't lose out. This is similar to some other services (e.g. hair salons, dentists etc) charging (or threatening to charge) if you cancel within 24 hours of your appointment. It's also because tattoo artists also design tattoos, which is time-consuming, and if people change their minds, then that time isn't completely wasted. Though, yes, you should always get a receipt.

I don't know why so many people voted you down, I do the exact same thing. Walk into the artists house, slap down a pile of cash and say "Ink me bro"

I dont know why so many people voted you down, I do the exact same thing! Walk into the artists house, slap down a pile of cash, and say "Ink me bro."

kewpiesuicide 29

Doesn't Kat Von D have like a 5 year waiting list? 6 months seems short compared to that. I would rather be on a waiting list than immediately get some scratcher shit done

It's not that bad of an idea since tattoos are permanent and you have to be sure you still want it.

Exactly 122, since there are always those times where for a week or maybe neve a month or two, you think something is a great idea to get, but you regret it as soon as you get it, if I ever decide to get one, I'm going to out uo a picture of it where I can see it every day many times a day for a few months and then decide if I still like it

maybe they had to wait until they turned 18 and planned ahead for their birthday??

Well if OP has a copy of the paperwork for the cash deposit then he can at least recoup some of the loss...hell maybe even get a new, sooner apointment

If only there were a button for saying that this sucks.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
tgabes 9

Yeah and apparently your wallet also

Are you implying that ink is dirt? Oh, God, I need more showers. -scrubs vigorously- WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING?!

Or instead you (the poster of this comment) should keep their head clear and not try to make personal decisions for OP :)

All I'm saying is people frequently regret their tattoos. Also- I'm not making OP's decision; I am merely writing my opinion, as one is supposed to do on this site. Now for the obligatory sassy-smile: :)

I have two tattoos and regret nothing. If OP made an appointment six months in advance I think we can assume they won't regret anything.

SkyGuy32 17

I wonder if tattoos start looking like shit when you get old and wrinkly.

imtooshy 18

Do you at least have a receipt still to prove it? Sorry OP, that totally sucks!

afallingstar 22

Wow. Put a cash deposit down and don't request a receipt? Kinda dumb OP and most legitimate places would offer one...

wannabesinger 16

This makes me feel really bad about the place I got my tattoo. He wanted a deposit just to draw up a sketch of my tattoo. I was 19, getting my first tattoo, and admittedly I should've done more research. It came out great though, so I guess I can't complain too much.

wannabesinger 16

Er, I should've added that I wasn't offered a receipt for the deposit I put down.

afallingstar 22

I just meant businesses in general usually offer receipts. To me it's an offer of good faith that you either got the service or will be getting the service.

'just to draw up a sketch'? You realise that sketches take time, and that if even a tenth of his clients decided not to go ahead with the tat, he would have wasted hours of time doing sketches? He should definitely be compensated for that.

who makes a tattoo appt 6 months in advance and puts down a cash deposit on said appt? ydi

Many reputable, legitimate businesses utilize cash deposits. Good tattoo artist can be booked months in advance and with the money they stand to make, a deposit in any form is a good way to ensure they don't waste the reserved time slot. Nothing wrong with op paying in cash if the receipt was saved.

When you schedule the removal process in the future, just make sure you don't repeat the same mistake again...

He wouldn't. That comment was just written by a tattoo hater.

Neyuu 18

Can't get a tattoo removed that you didn't get, anyway. They stole OPs money, remember?

It's a sign from the universe. Keep your temple clean!

imagineapc 11

Who are you to even suggest the ways that OP honor his temple? My body is my temple, and as such I take great care of it. And yes, I have several tattoos on my canvas honoring the things that mean the most to me.

I'm not saying that the universe is. I believe you can do want ever you want within the confines of the law.

TheDrifter 23

My body is also my temple, I'm going for a sistine chapel motif.

My body is my temple and I'm hanging up some artwork.

Many people who hate ink trot out that 'The body is a temple' line to try to make their point. Well, Michaelangelo and other renowned artists painted temples. I guess that point is invalid.

GLORY TO RAPTOR JESUS, #11, our lord HATES tat- I'm sorry this getting too far for even me. Don't like tattoos, don't get one. It really is that simple.

Sounds like a very unorganized and unprofessional place to get a tattoo. I wouldn't be going there again.

That's what I was thinking... They're either really disorganized or really dishonest, but either way I wouldn't want to go to a place like that, who knows what could happen? OP needs to find a place that is clean, professional, and won't lose their deposits or forget about their appointments.

How much did you deposit on such a crappy place?