By Sonata90 - 20/12/2015 06:36 - Canada - Lewisporte

Today, I bought a PS4 online for my boyfriend's birthday. I put it on our joint credit card through Paypal to keep it a surprise. The company decided to ruin that surprise when they called him to confirm the transaction. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 904
You deserved it 6 550

Sonata90 tells us more.

OP here, just wanted to expand on this to answer some questions. Both bank and credit cards are joint for us— the act of bringing in the income and shopping for the “perfect” gift is what we consider the act of gifting within our relationship. The price on the credit card bill was not the factor that would have ruined the surprise as it was planned to show as a paypal purchase and he already knew I had bought him a gift; the surprise was in knowing what the gift actually was. Customer service, on the other hand, doesn't usually call anyone to confirm purchases—I have purchased far more expensive things without receiving a call before. I just got unlucky this time I guess! His surprise came in early and he was still happy. For those wondering why we have joint accounts while dating; we’ve been together for six years as common-law partners and our relationship is built on trust and honesty. He got a gamer girlfriend but I got lucky with a good man!

Top comments

Wouldn't he check a joint credit card for charges? I think he'd be suspicious about a $300+ charge.

At least he has a girlfriend who doesn't hate that he likes to play video games :)

Comments

rosha267 21

Although it's a joint account, she could just make the payments herself. It just happens to be a joint account most likely so they can get their credit ratings up at the same time.

GoogieWithers 22

Nice thought but they would have contacted him as it is a joint card.

That sucks, maybe try not joint card next time?

afisxfallxchild 9

So? I'm sure he'd still appreciate it.

dafluckster 6

Why do you have a joint anything when he's still only your boyfriend?

Maybe they live together and pay things like rent and groceries with their joint account?

Even if they have a joint account for rent etc. why doesn't she have her own bank account as well? I would never share an account for everything without being married (and probably not even then). What if he decides to leave the state overnight? Or he cheats on her? Good luck separating the money then.

I assume they have separate bank accounts and one joint account for bills, plus a credit card linked to their joint account. I don't know why she just ordered it with her private bank account, though. "Here's your gift, and also your half of the price back, because I bought it with our bills-and-rent money."

My parents have a joint bank account and until Mom got too sick to do the bills, Dad *never* even so much as *looked* at the account. I'm guessing that if it hadn't been for the call, it WOULD have been kept a secret.

ballislife2324 14

When u are married if all your accounts aren't shared then it means that u don't fully trust your partner so that looks back to me that if my partner did not at least tell me about the separate bank account

Not everyone wants to get married. They could be together for years already and just don't have the funds for a wedding either.

I have friends who have 3 kids, a house and a mortgage, and a vacation property with their boyfriends/girlfriends, which is way more than a credit card. Lots of people have joint credit products when they live together. Some of them have been together 10-15 years, they aren't religious and never saw any point in getting married.

My brother has a joint account with his girlfriend. They don't have separate accounts. They have been together 7 years and have 4 kids together. But they don't care about getting married. Although technically they are common law marriage, they still call each other boyfriend and girlfriend

darksaber522 12

What were you thinking, using a joint account which he can access?

moocowmilk0 19

How are there not more clicks on you deserved it than your life sucks? This is one of the very, very few times when I feel like I could say OP legitimately deserved it. Using a joint account that he has access to specifically to keep it a secret is so counterproductive it's actually dumb.

My boyfriend (who is my common-law partner of six years now) and I have joint everything— there is no way around it for us, it’s how our relationship is. But the charge would have come up on the credit card bill as a paypal purchase; it was well planned out. Knowing the price of his gift wouldn’t have been a problem but the company (who doesn’t usually call about purchases) did so this once, actually mentioning the PS4 and ruining the surprise. But it was fine— my boyfriend just laughed it off and was still happy about his present. Early surprise for him I guess!

That sucks! But hey, you know what they say, it's the thought that counts. I'm sure he's really happy!

What grown ass man still plays video games? Who you dating? The 40 year old virgin?

What grown ass man doesn't play video games nowadays? I mean, come on.

gaming is a world wide accepted part of culture for people of all ages now, get over it

mds9986 24

What grown ass man comes onto the Internet and judges others? Who are you? A 40 year old high school student?

Gaming together is a great way to bond and chill with your partner, don't be ridiculous. We spend like 80% of our lazy weekends gaming and napping. Like adults.

What grown ass man comes and wastes his time hating on people who like to have fun in life? Someone who's jealous they don't have a GF like OP's boyfriend

MzZombicidal 36

Lol. I can't believe people still think it's unusual for adults to enjoy video games.