By satega - 17/11/2012 09:15 - United States - Smithville

Today, I asked my manager if wearing makeup was a requirement for the job. She told me, "Not if you're naturally pretty... So for you, yes". FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 144
You deserved it 3 521

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iamabamf 17

You should've asked her if being naturally bitchy was a requirement. Cause if it was, she nailed it.

Ouch. Should've said "oh so you have to wear it too then, yes?"

Comments

Just ignore her, OP. You don't need to change yourself to match her image of beauty. She has a hideous personality anyway.

What a bitch.. Would be funny if OP's manager showed up on work with make up on. But I think make up should not be a requirement for a job, I think that's just silly.

Tell her; in that case, you should put on some more :)

Yes, OP's manager is insensitive, but thinking about it as an economic issue, I can understand her. If the OP works with people, being ugly is not an advantage, since many people prefer being helped by a pretty face. Pretty face + good customer service = happy customers = happy manager. And if the pretty faces wear shitloads of make-up, it's not a smart move for a not-so-pretty face to not wear it, because the beauty gap will be too big. If anyone is to blame here, it's not the manager, it are the superficial customers who prefer those pretty faces.

That's like saying male hair dressers should disguise themselves as women because a woman is more likely to trust a woman to do her hair. Businesses shouldn't discriminate against certain employees just because some of their customers may be discriminatory.

#17 - In that case, why aren't guys ever required to wear makeup? I know plenty of ugly guys who could use some.

"a woman is more likely to trust a woman to do her hair." Is it? I don't care what the gender is of the person doing my hair, but I'm honest enough to admit that I don't like to be served by people who are really ugly or, which happens more often, who don't take care of themself. Yes, I'm superficial, but if I'm served by someone who's thirty and looks like fifty, I immediately assume that (s)he will not be able to serve me properly. Superficial? Yes, again, but I've studied a lot of psychological/social experiments that prove that I'm not the only one. Should a bussiness discrimate because some customers are stupid? I've thought about that for some months now and I still didn't figure it out. It's more humane to not discriminate, and being humane is awesome, but it gives more profit if they discriminate, and more profit is also awesome. "#17 - In that case, why aren't guys ever required to wear makeup? I know plenty of ugly guys who could use some." Because society is sexist.

That was just an example to show how ridiculous your reasoning behind discrimination is. Obviously my example doesn't always apply, but neither does your logic. Would just about everybody prefer to see a beautiful person than an ugly person? Sure. But I doubt most people consider ugliness a character flaw, as you apparently do. People can't help the way their face is, and makeup may be able to hide some flaws, but it can't fix bone structure. Nobody's prefect, it's just not all of our flaws are physically apparent. For example, I wouldn't be able to tell that you're superficial and judgmental just by looking at you. If ugly people are comfortable enough with themselves to not hide it, then I say more power to them. And if you and others are too superficial to see beyond physical appearances to see what truly makes a person beautiful, then it's you I pity.

Jessj958 19

DjPee, some of the things you said were some of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. How can someone who is 30 but looks 50 not be able to properly serve you? If a person is working somewhere they were hired because they CAN properly do the job. It's people like you that are what's wrong with this world. Let me guess, I bet you think our president can't run the country "properly" because he's black, right?

"But I doubt most people consider ugliness a character flaw, as you apparently do." Not a character flaw, experiments (it would be a great help if someone would remember the name of them, thanks!) have shown that people link beautiful persons with all sorts of positive character traits and have higher expectations of them, while they'll link ugly persons with negative character traits and have lower expectations of them.

"Let me guess, I bet you think our president can't run the country "properly" because he's black, right?" Ugh. I can totally understand that my opinion is not shared, but I would appreciate it if you didn't bash it if you clearly don't understand it at all. In short: almost everyone in our society is able to take a bath, to shave an unibrow, to buy creams, shampoo, conditioner, fond-de-teint, mascara... If I then see someone who looks like she doesn't spend a minute a week on her appearance, then my mind thinks she's lazy. And strange. And my mind prefers someone who's not lazy and strange above someone who is. Now, respond your own question, would I think that the colour of someone's skin determines their capability to run a country? Simple answer, two letters.

iamzikang 17
Jessj958 19

I agree people can do many things to take care of themselves and make themselves presentable. However, if someone does not want to wear make up, they shouldn't have to and no one should make them bad about themselves for not doing it. Discrimination laws are in place for a reason. Not everyone can afford to spend tons of money on make up and creams and things like that. I have kids and I've done without plenty of times to make sure they had what they needed or wanted. Don't judge someone by their looks. You never know a persons background or story just by looking at them.

As sad as it may seem, looks DO matter a great deal in the work place. Of course it depends on what type of work you do. I'm a bartender and I know I was first hired based on my looks and then had to prove myself to keep my position. Everyone I work with up front is attractive. The less attractive ones (and the ones with heavy tattoos) are sadly in the back kitchen. My hiring manager can not admit that he only hires the pretty ones because he'd get in trouble for discrimination. But look around and you'll know. ***Also there was once a study that stated, attractive kids did better in school because it showed that teachers paid more attention to them.

There's a big difference between being ugly and having poor hygiene/ personal grooming habits. There's also a big difference between having poor hygiene / grooming and choosing not to wear makeup. If an employer tells an employee to wear makeup to hide her ugliness, they might as well tell her to wear a bag over her head.

You are joking right? Have you ever been to a Walmart? Have you seen those workers? (Trying not to insult anyone) People don't care actually, let me re-fraise that, people who aren't shallow don't care what their helper looks like. All people care about is that they get great service and that there person is nice. What OP boss did was wrong completely 100% wrong because that's actually discrimination if you want to be technical.

HURRAY this long-ass argument is over. Take 5, people

Have you never heard of beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Who gets to decide if you are beautiful or ugly? Society??? I think not. Too many people blame society for shit like who determines what is beautiful. I blame people like you who are shallow and stupid enough to follow along because you can't figure it out on your own. I am sure that there are people who consider you beautiful, but I am also sure there are people who consider you ugly, and not just because of your personality. I have been called ugly, I can guarantee you 100% that EVERY single person in this world has been called ugly at some point in their life, but guess what, myself and every other person on this planet has been called beautiful as well. I don't care if the person who takes my order or makes my coffee or sells me clothing is ugly or pretty to me. Just as long as they are good at their customer service, I am happy.

That's because it's Wal-Mart. People go there because it's cheap as ****. I'm not taking sides in this argument, but I think that was a poor example to try to prove your point with.

On the one hand, that was rather mean of your manager. On the other hand, that was kind of a silly question and that may be why she gave you a smart ass reply. Who ever heard of a job that requires its employees to wear makeup? Still, a simple "no" would have sufficed.

Lots of "high fashion" clothing stores require you to wear makeup, as well as cosmetics stores, salons, lingerie stores and even some restaurants, such as Hooters. That doesn't even cover modeling gigs, etc. It's not actually that uncommon. I do agree that it was a dumb question, though, because you'd think management would have told her whether makeup was required for the position or not.

I thought about that, but I assumed that wasn't the case here, since OP's manager said, "Only if you're not naturally pretty."

bach2121 13

That was a dumb question to ask though

OP: You're not ugly unless you have the same rude personality as your boss.

Try to get her to apologize and maybe you can makeup before things get ugly. If all else fails, concealer weapon or two and lipstick it up her ass. That's never a good foundation to start a career, might as well act now and cover-up that part of your résumé later. :)

perdix 29

The manager was a bitch for not simply saying yes. The part about being pretty enough to not require make-up was unnecessary and cruel. Your work environment is probably going to be shit, so keep up your resume and keep looking for something better. Almost all women look better with some make-up. If you are beautiful without it, you could be magnificent with it.

That depends on how the makeup is done. Some women way overdo it and make themselves look like clowns, while others just do it poorly and make themselves look like shit.

perdix 29

#28, I totally agree. Heavy make-up usually looks like shit on all women, pretty or ugly. Women need to learn to use make-up well to improve their looks. If it became widely socially acceptable for men to use make-up, we'd probably benefit from it, too.

Oh, men wear makeup. Not eye liner or blush, but concealer and powder, usually just to hide acne or some other flaw. Unless you count Eddy Izzard. That guy goes full on metro.

perdix 29

It's still something that most men do quietly with a sense of secrecy and shame. It's probably for the best. If I could make my lips any sexier, I probably couldn't walk down the street without women mauling me.

RedPillSucks 31

Perdix, You've got to move like Jagger. Also... TammyFaye Baker. Nuff said.

Well, yes, we women are sex crazed savages. Why, just yesterday I tackled and molested my boyfriend simply because he put on a nice jacket and some cologne.

perdix 29

#78, Two things: they're real and they are spectacular ;) Smallish women can get away with attacking guys that are "just asking for it." The idea is that they could physically repel the attack if they didn't really want it.

Yes, but a stud like yourself can't risk enhancing your hotness and then going out in public. Why, they'd come in hordes! It would be like that scene in "The Wizard of Oz" when the flying monkeys rip apart the scarecrow.

Kaylalovesyouu 8