By chao - 22/12/2009 02:47 - United States

Today, I asked my girlfriend what she thought of us getting married some day. She said she wasn't sure about me yet and that we may want to go in different directions soon. We've been dating for three years and I had the ring in my pocket at the moment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 230
You deserved it 3 864

Same thing different taste

Top comments

YayAmerica 0

In retrospect, perhaps you should've asked her that question a while back. At least BEFORE you bought the ring.

Well, no kidding. People can be really dumb--you should always talk to her about marriage before because you may think that your relationship is TOTALLY different than she thinks it is. Me? I was jokingly chatting with my boyfriend about marriage years before we did it, and I went to pick out my ring with him, so he knew I would say yes and I wouldn't have any second thoughts.

Comments

Ouch. I think I'm 1st comment by the way!(not that I care)

If you don't care then don't point out the ******* obvious! OP that sucks for you. I hope you're able to return the ring and aren't paying it off with a loan =( _______________________________ www.myspace.com/rapid99

Look dude. I'm just saying that it is unusual to be first to comment on FML. Second, all I could say was ouch. So seriously, don't be jealous that you never get to comment first and man up.

Man up? For what? To be able to type fastest and be first to comment?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
YayAmerica 0

In retrospect, perhaps you should've asked her that question a while back. At least BEFORE you bought the ring.

Thank you, this is a nice illustrative example of the pitfalls to the "surprise proposal" that seems to infest our culture. Its just a bad idea... at least you had the common sense to ask before the proposal, maybe next time you'll move it back a week before the ring buying as well!

Yeah, consider this... you at least knew before getting on a knee and proposing. The ring isn't going to disintegrate. Keep it. See how things go. This could have been a much worse FML.

MayJae 0

Ooooo...very sorry:( are you still with her? Did u ever tell her about the whole "ring in pocket" situation?

22cute 17

or maybe you should hav actually proposed instead of hedging like a pussy coward. That's prolly why she said "no". I know iwould if some wimp didn't hav the balls to be a man after 3 years of dating YDI!!

Well, no kidding. People can be really dumb--you should always talk to her about marriage before because you may think that your relationship is TOTALLY different than she thinks it is. Me? I was jokingly chatting with my boyfriend about marriage years before we did it, and I went to pick out my ring with him, so he knew I would say yes and I wouldn't have any second thoughts.

Best way to make sure she won't say no: make sure she's been nagging you for a freaking year and then go out and get the ring.

You deserve it for tryna cuff a bitch. Man up. It's too many hunni's out there, bruh.

FMLshark 12

should have just come right out and said it instead of beating around the bush, maybe u wouldnt have gotten a bs answer

Ummm, so you bought her a ring BEFORE discussing marriage? YDI moron.

Sun_Kissed18 25

Well after three years of what I assume was affection, it's kinda easy to assume that she would say yes. Especially if she hasn't said anything negative towards marriage

Perhaps this is something you should have discussed with her before buying the ring.

To all the people saying he deserves this, wrong...maybe he hadn't discussed it with her, but she obviously gave him enough reason to believe they could be serious enough for him to buy a ring...sheesh

Actually, that's not "obvious" at all. Considering the fact that when he DID ask, she came right out and stated her uncertainty regarding him, I think he was probably just *hoping* he had enough reason because it was what he wanted; 3 years of dating does not necessarily a happy marriage make. OP, sucks for you, but most people here are right: You should have asked this BEFORE buying the ring. Contrary to popular belief, getting married doesn't always require just your basic ask and answer, you actually have to *discuss* it, and certainly discuss it before making any assumptions.

sciu 0

Way to judge, judgey. Awsm work there.