By Anonymous - 24/07/2015 11:58 - Germany - Paderborn

Today, I asked my boyfriend to go to the airport with me, to see me off for my three-month stay abroad. He said no because the two-hour drive is "too boring". FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 628
You deserved it 2 561

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And when you get back , and he wants sex , tell him it's too boring with him .

Perhaps the three month break will be good

Comments

philsh94 20

maybe you breaking up with him would keep him entertained

AkBunny907 18

That is a pretty long drive...just saying

but it's OPs boyfriend and they won't see each other for 3 months, it is a long drive but it's also 2 extra hours they get to spend together. OP is obviously not worth it to him.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't force my boyfriend to drive a long distance just to have to say goodbye to me. It's my trip, not his. He can stay home and enjoy himself, and I'll do me.

Tbh I don't really blame ur bf, who wants to spend their day in a car

AGhost5445 25

But it might be a two hour drive back!

#20 it will be 4 total. 2 there and 2 back.

This 3 month break might be a good time to reflect on the relationship.

I understand his view. The trek back will be incredibly boring, but he won't see you for 3 months! The fact that he won't see his girl for so long should gave him more than enough reason to see you off. Like others said, maybe rethink your relationship.

I get it, he might have already begun his plans. He's probably gonna be busy tonight.

I can't shake the feeling that he wants to go straight to someone else's house when you leave. Sorry, OP.

It sounds like someone has trust issues

Ted_brosby 4

Breaking up isn't always the answer. (Many people on here think it is). He probably is pissed she's leaving. I would br

Wait, why would he be upset about the fact that she's going on a trip? I've gone on trips with my family plenty of times, and my bf never complained. Likewise, he's gotten his vacation during weeks where I was unable to get mine, and I never got pissed at him either. I mean, it sucks, but that's no reason to take it out on his gf. It's normal to be sad she'll be gone so long, but shouldn't he be happy she'll be having fun?

Ted_brosby 4

Why - because she's going to be gone for 3months. That would suck. Vacation with family is only a few days to a week at most. That doesn't compare.

Yeah, but for all we know she invited him and he refused because of work/school or he just didn't feel like going. Or maybe she is indeed visiting family, but since they live so far away and it's so expensive, she is going that long. Believe it or not, it's not that uncommon for people to visit long-distance grandparents or stuff throughout the entire summer. Or maybe this has been a long-time dream she's had and planned with her best friends for years. Or maybe it isn't even a vacation, but rather school/work/volunteer related. Any of those reasons are pretty valid, and worth 3 months alone-time imo. I'm not saying she should automatically dump him or anything, but my point is that unless she was a total ass about it (like he asked her to wait a few weeks for him so he could go too but she point-blank refused), then his rudeness is really uncalled for. Besides, if he's so upset she's going to leave, why not try to get as much time with her as possible? Seems more likely (from the info given) that he just doesn't care. And honestly, if he does care and he's simply pissed, then his reaction just seems petty.

Just for the record, I understand there are reasons why he might be justifiably angry (as I mentioned earlier). Neither do I think he HAS to drive her (he could just hang out with her a few hours before then say goodbye at home). I'm just saying I find the limited amount of info the FML gives us seems to indicate he was just being a rude asshat.

agreed. I know that I would be upset if my wife left for 3 months, even if we were just dating. there better be a good reason for you to leave me for 3 months... if you lived me that much, why would you go away for that long?

We don't know how old they are, and if you get an opportunity to do something you really want, you should not let your love stand in the way. If they really love you they will understand. I went abroad for 4 months last year, and my boyfriend will go abroad for 4 months this year. Of course it makes us sad, but we're only 21 years old, throwing these opportunities away would be stupid.

Expanding on what #30 said, I experienced going abroad in the middle of the relationship with my Ex. He would complain about everything from the packing to the airport drive because he was upset. Eventually he sabotaged me and I missed my flight (I still got on the very next one after I cried at the counter) and I couldn't take his shit no more.