By 73012211 - 15/01/2016 20:21 - United States - Rockwall

Today, I accidentally broke an expensive glass display shelf at work. My coworker joked, "Ooh, that's gonna come out of your paycheck!" My boss thought that was a great idea. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 445
You deserved it 3 023

73012211 tells us more.

Hey guys! OP here. Here's a follow up and a clarification. It was a single sheet of glass, about four feet long, and it fell as we were moving things around, breaking when it hit the floor. The glass shelves cost the store $200-$400 each, and we're always being reminded to be careful because they are so expensive. I was being careful, but the heavy shelf slipped in through my hands and the corner of the shelf hit the floor just right that it shattered. My boss is kind of a jerk, with a weird sense of humor. My coworker was teasing me, and my boss thought it would be funny to play along and pretend he was going to charge me for it. I posted this a little bit after it happened, before I talked to my boss, and I was pretty embarrassed, since I'm always so careful. The end of the story is that I will not have to pay for the shelf (we have tons of extras in the back, we won't miss one). Thanks for the support, everyone!

Top comments

Isn't that what normally happens anyway?

Might want to check your employment terms, normally one cannot do that and just put you on a payment plan for its cost.

Comments

I wanna feel bad but I feel like your obligated to pay for it

it might have just been your boss messing with you? lol hopefully... because yes. that is illegal. although I am not familiar with the laws in Texas...soo..if it does actually happen..do a bit of research on it first. and if it is illegal and he did that.. I'm sure you can anon call the higher ups if you don't want bad blood with your boss haha. w.e happens..I wish you the best and cheapest way :)

You may want to check your state's department of labor. Most states it is illegal to require the employee to cover the cost of damages/loss of money

LalapaloozaChick 14

"you break, you buy" is usually a rule for customers. I dont see why it wouldn't apply to an employee in this case.

in canada that's illegal ;) you have to sign for any deductions to your paycheck. nobody can force you to sign anything.

anna31899 16

They aren't allowed to do that. Hope you figure it out

You break it you pay for it? Isn't that just normal?

Didn't think this was legal, at least here in the US.