By notanazigrandchildafterall - 21/09/2015 11:32 - Germany - Leipzig

Today, going through my late grandmother's papers, I found out that my grandfather had never been in the Nazi party. The reason he was not allowed to work as a teacher was that he had never passed his university exams. He found an invented Nazi past less shameful than academic failure. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 783
You deserved it 1 739

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's really sad actually. I can't imagine what his family must've been like for him to prefer being thought of as a Nazi than a failure. Like, that had to have been some serious pressure. On the bright side op, at least you know your family was actually never tied to the Nazis.

Anne Frankly, I don't know why he thought that would be better.

Comments

Jew must feel pretty fired up right about now no?

Isn't that the opposite of an FML? Today, I found out that my grandpa wasn't an accomplice to genocide.

You guys keep applying modern day attitude to an old historical era. "he must have been under huge pressure to do that" -no not really. Over 60 years ago it would've been extremely simple because Himmler's propaganda dehumanized Jews and said that Aryans were gods.

SmittyJA24 26

No; it's easier to blame someone else (the non-Nazis) for his lack of employment than to accept the blame for himself.

So your life is ****** , because your grandpa WASN'T an nazi?

An actual nazi would be sent to jail so think next time first.

umm, why would he be in jail? Nazism isn't illegal, although despicable.

Actually, in most countries it was. Being a member of the Nazi-party would have landed him in jail.

It's illegal in Germany but fine in other European countries so long as they don't work it into politics again. There ARE Nazi groups that exist there, but more in America because it's completely legal here.

It really would have depended where he lived (post war each of the Allies had different methods for what they called denazification). If he was just a low-level, in the party in order to teach (party membership was required in a lot of jobs) member he probably would have been fine.

you sound like you're disappointed that you're not related to a nazi