By r1has - 29/06/2016 20:01 - Pakistan - Rawalpindi

Today, due to summer Ramadan, we have 16 hour long fasts. Normally this is okay, except today I managed to sleep through both suhoor and iftaar. I haven't eaten for 36 hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 454
You deserved it 3 788

r1has tells us more.

For everyone telling me to break my fast, had it actually been a problem and had I actually been sick, I would have broken it. But since I'm on summer vacation, I fell asleep, making it a lot easier to deal with. So while I was really hungry, it wasn't a health risk. I checked. God doesn't want you to kill yourself, just feel the pain of the poor and needy. And #3 pregnant women, menstruating women, nursing mothers, old people, sick people, kids e.t.c aren't supposed to fast. They can either make them up later or give in charity, if they are able to. If they aren't then no big deal. Plus puking, bleeding or fainting automatically breaks your fast, so even if I had gotten dizzy, I would have broken it. It was just kind of a miserable day because I get kinda pissy when I'm hungry, and I was snapping right and left. Thankfully my family understood, and made sure I woke up and had food the next day

Top comments

Wow that is some bad luck OP! If you are really struggling you can just eat something and im sure God would forgive you.

That was interesting to read, thanks for sharing. I think it's pretty admirable to see people fasting. I do have to wonder why your family didn't wake you up in time.

Comments

Wow that is some bad luck OP! If you are really struggling you can just eat something and im sure God would forgive you.

The Islamic God is a pretty angry dude tbh

CoffeeChickBlows 13

You weren't lying in your bio about shitposting, huh Mahtari? But yeah, both gods come off as angsty teenagers. Definitely the point of the FML.

... It's not both Gods, it's the same God. The same story of Adam, Moses, Joseph, Noah, Abraham, jobe, and so on are in all the books. Just like all the religions require a fast of some sort such as Lint Yom Kippur (among others), and Ramadan. But yeah the specifications are different but the purpose of meditation, worshiping, cleansing, and a better understanding of humanity (as another commentor has mentioned) is generally the same.

Hahaha With all the messed up shit some people do, I wouldn't be either. but I am "Kill them with LOVE" :)

Aren't sick and old and pregnant people allowed to eat? Can't you qualify as sick?

I was wondering about pregnant women, because it can be very harmful to go 16 hours without eating while pregnant.

You guys really don't have any Clue about Islam do you? Stop believing in Media's and maybe read some knowledgeable books about other religions and maybe just maybe you fucktard would know that Pregnant women aren't allow to fast due to pregnancy.

It's not considered sick if the op was sleeping

Yes, the sick, old, pregnant, and children do not have to fast...but I don't think this qualifies.

It's bad enough when actual friends are overly needy. It must really suck when your imaginary friends demand you not eat because reasons.

wow that sucks. i stay up all night till sahoor which ends at 4 AM and I usually wake up at 1 PM and iftar is at 8:40 PM so I really only go almost 9 hours awake without eating.

Thats bad for your health and you can freely eat ! Am a muslim and u dont have to go this far affecting your health .

And actually at somepoint you're not allowed to keep going through this because its bad for you which is prohibited.

Mathalamus 24

this may be the arrogant white man speaking, but i figure that Ramadan can be broken for health reasons, or when you haven't eaten in a while for some reason. they do have provisions for people who cant do ramadan for some reason, right? also, i don't understand why that cultural thing even got started. can anyone enlighten me?

It's actually not that arrogant to ask and yes, you are right. People with health issues, pregnant women and other people in special positions (military in wartime) are excused from ramadan. And it's not really a 'cultural thing that got started', it's actually always been there. It's just that you hear about it in the media more often than you used to. It's a thing done because their prophet did it and is supposed to instill discipline.

It is a "cultural thing that got started," in this case apparently started by people emulating the prophet. I don't think he was implying that it was started recently.

Mathalamus 24

well, if Ramadan was used to instill discipline, i guess i can understand. there are a lot of discipline teaching stuff out there. this is just one of them. though i am 90% sure its also meant to save on food during the growing season.

@18: Yeah that is true I suppose. I just read it as if he meant it was something new recently.

Wizardo 33

#20 - That's kind of right but not all the way. I remember the story as being the prophet and his followers were exiled and ostracised from Mecca, thus they fled to the desert to avoid persecution and in doing so had very little in the way of food and water. The people took it up on themselves to ration and thus fast from sunrise til sunset to make provisions last. It took a month before the prophets wife, basically sold everything she had to buy food and water for the followers (she was an amazing and highly educated woman at the time). God liked this act so much that it became a compulsory pillar of Islam, to know the plight of the needy, to give to charity and remember God.

Fasting has generally been a part of religion for some time. It's kind of like a physical tithe. With tithe, you give time or money. Fasting is giving something physical of yourself. Christian people do it regularly, Mormons do it at least monthly, and Muslims have Ramadan. I'm sure that Jewish people also have something similar as do Buddhists, etc.

For Jews it is tishrei- a 30 day period where multiple fasts and worships take place including Yom Kippur and others.

For everyone telling me to break my fast, had it actually been a problem and had I actually been sick, I would have broken it. But since I'm on summer vacation, I fell asleep, making it a lot easier to deal with. So while I was really hungry, it wasn't a health risk. I checked. God doesn't want you to kill yourself, just feel the pain of the poor and needy. And #3 pregnant women, menstruating women, nursing mothers, old people, sick people, kids e.t.c aren't supposed to fast. They can either make them up later or give in charity, if they are able to. If they aren't then no big deal. Plus puking, bleeding or fainting automatically breaks your fast, so even if I had gotten dizzy, I would have broken it. It was just kind of a miserable day because I get kinda pissy when I'm hungry, and I was snapping right and left. Thankfully my family understood, and made sure I woke up and had food the next day

We have a huge three days to celebrate with our family, called Eid. We all get new clothes, and celebrate. Kids and teens get money from relatives called Eidi, and we give the obligatory yearly charity called Zaakat. It's honestly really amazing. It's actually coming up, on Wednesday, I guess

That was interesting to read, thanks for sharing. I think it's pretty admirable to see people fasting. I do have to wonder why your family didn't wake you up in time.

They tried. Apparently I woke up, said I already had suhoor, and went back to sleep. Now that we all know my brain is a little shit, they make me get up

Awesome post, OP. I'm really glad this got published. I'm even more glad that you were able to explain and inform about Ramadan too. As an American Muslim (who is currently fasting haha) I come across a lot of people who have no knowledge on something that is such a big part of our religion and culture. Even worse are the people that don't want to learn about it. That doesn't seem to be the case on FML though. :) Also, that sounds rough! At least you didn't have too much trouble with the situation. I sleep through the really rough parts of the fast too.... :p

I've never seen a staff reply to an OP before.. I've never seen an OP reply to a staff replying to an OP, before.. This is a good community and staff team!

I hate when that happens! My parents and roommates will try to get me up and i'll say things and not remember anything later. My parents will tell me where they're going and ill respond, then wake up later and call or text them asking where they are! This was a really interesting fml, especially the explanation, thanks for sharing!

Fantastic! But slight correction, bleeding vomiting and fainting are reasons to break your fast afterwards if you want to but they themselves don't break the fast. So if you get a Papercut for example that doesn't break your fast. For vomiting it does break your fast if you force yourself to vomit otherwise it doesn't but I would recommend you eat afterwards to replenish or drink something at least to avoid being dehydrated. Same thing for fainting you should probably eat afterwards fainting itself doesn't break it. Again they are reasons to possibly break your fast because you are allowed to when you are sick.

Thanks a lot for the awesome follow up. I really didn't know anything about this holiday besides the fasting. This sounds like a great time.

I seem to talk or do things while still asleep too. We don't fast, though, so luckily I've never had that happen. It makes me very happy to see calm, kind conversations on this and it's really nice to learn more about other religions!

I love this comment, thank you for explaining your culture many people need the lesson. I'm glad you got food

I'm Chicago we have many Iftar parties and eid party only lasts a day typically. Also half the people have eid one day and the other half have it the other.

the parties are generally on the first day of eid, but it is three days. also the day of your eid depends on which branch of Islam you belong to, its kinda like how Catholics and Orthodox celebrate Easter on different days.

As an Agnostic, I don't usually participate in religious celebrations, especially if none of my family or friends are followers/believers of that particular religion, but I have always enjoyed Eid. I was first exposed to the celebrations while traveling in Africa, and I brought it home with me. Since then, I have joined in the celebrations with friends who already observed Ramadan. I have been pleasantly surprised by the effect that fasting and giving to the less fortunate have had on me, and it is an amazing way to spend time with loved ones, whether you are Muslim or not.

Weeeeeeell... People tell you to eat... I guess you could, if you truly believe your God would allow to, and not send you to hell. Then again, rules have been made, and it's not up to you to question the word of your God.

sonasonic 34

God doesn't want you to make yourself sick by fasting, as OP already explained

Wow that really sucks! I feel your pain through, fasting can be tough. I think you should just skip a day to get back on track. And then just fast the rest of the days.