This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By akash - 28/04/2018 09:00 - United States

Today, despite meditating, cutting out sugar, exercising during the day, turning off all electronics after 10 pm, and taking melatonin, I still could not fall asleep. Meanwhile, my roommate, who stays on her computer all day and brings her phone into bed, slept like a baby. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 493
You deserved it 458

Top comments

You’re wasting your time with the meditation. Having this bitter, seething resentment towards your roommate shows that it’s not working! Let go of your petty jealousy and maybe you’ll be able to sleep.

manb91uk 22

You mean your roommate woke up screaming for a drink three times and shat herself? Not the sleeping model I would aspire to buddy!

Comments

You meditate to get refreshed and have energy. You're doing it wrong.

Donut_Wizard 23

This sounds like a job for... Medical weed!

This looks like a joke but legitimately medicinal cannabis is excellent for insomnia

Trick for me to fall asleep is literally daydreaming. Have to picture yourself somewhere else. For example I just imagine myself being a character in game of thrones. I usually pass out in half an hour. It’s easy for your friend because she just daydreams about her computer while laying down.

Been there. Melatonin can screw up your sleep cycle. Don't use it. Morning or midday exercise helps. Your doctor can prescribe sleeping pills that work better than OTC antihistamines. The "after 10 pm" thing should involve eliminating all bright light (preferably for two hours before bedtime), so if you're reading, use the lowest light level that you comfortably can. (I also use a dark desktop theme and the "Simple Night Mode" Firefox extension, to keep the screen darker in the evening.) Some people have luck with the 4 second / 7 second / 8 second rounds of inhale / hold / exhale; I didn't. (Read more about it before trying it.) Good luck.

chessu 21

I'm a real fussy sleeper too. I'd suggest exercise, but you've already mentioned that. Maybe up the intensity? Or, how late do you leave your food? Maybe that's perking you up? I work shifts, so I struggle to sleep on the late ones (though I prefer the pattern), but am out like a light on the early ones cause my body's not used to it, so it's definitely extreme fatigue that kicks me out. I've also found that if nothing else works, even if it's dark and quiet, putting on a sleep mask and earplugs somehow mentally does the trick. Also try white/brown noise and try to come up with a story in your head rather than think of how much you can't sleep. If you struggle with a story, start with maths or some sort of task you got to do and your brain will wander off on its own.

Some people are sensitive to caffeine. If I had caffeine in any form after about 2PM I had trouble getting to sleep. A lot of things have caffeine - coffee, tea, cola, energy drinks, Mountain Dew and even significant quantities of dark chocolate can keep you awake.

One last additional comment - A magnesium deficiency can cause RLS (restlessness legs syndrome). If by chance you regularly take antacids or Prilosec or similar products your stomach will not produce enough acid to dissolve most dietary and ordinary magnesium supplements. Magnesium citrate is readily dissolved as a supplement as is available in tablet form. Also you might look up “oil of magnesium” which is a concentrated water and magnesium chloride solution - that you apply directly to your legs at night. I went to a “sleep specialist” who told me I had RLS. He prescribed a prescription medication that was a nightmare. The magnesium fixed my problem. I was taking Prilosec.

It's possible your roommate is not getting quality sleep. If she is sedentary on the computer all day then she will be naturally sluggish and sleepy because she hasn't gotten her blood pumping so she might find it easy to just fall asleep. If she's on her phone until she drops off then her brain is still super active and alert because it hasn't been given a chance to wind down. I'd imagine all is not what it seems. It's still super awful that you can't sleep. Being tired and restless are horrible feelings.

Imthatfirstguy1 7