By elizabethkalyn - 10/02/2014 20:48 - United States - Vincennes

Today, at work, a customer asked me to unlock the restroom for them. I honestly couldn't figure out which gender they were, but I didn't want to be rude and ask, so I took a chance. I unlocked the wrong one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 679
You deserved it 5 798

elizabethkalyn tells us more.

Couple of things. I couldn't have unlocked both, as the doors swing shut and relock as soon as you let them go. The customer was a natural born woman who looked and sounded a lot like a male. When they asked why I opened the men's, I just told them the women's was occupied. I have never made the mistake before and it was mortifying. She luckily was very cool about it:) also, both restrooms use the same key.

Top comments

I would have pretended I unlocked the wrong one without realizing it. Like "oh it's been a long day I wasn't even paying attention to which bathroom I was unlocking!"

Comments

Regardless of the gender I'm sure OP Pissed them off.

Take a look at customer's throat and determine the gender? Unless it's a kid then nvm. Just putting my two cents on the table.

Well it's their fault for not looking like their gender

OP is quite lucky she doesn't work in Thailand . Imagine having to identify the ladyboys...

good point #9 - don't know why you were downvoted

Because 9s first statement was entirely obvious and when it comes to bathrooms what gender they identify with is entirely irrelevant

He/she maybe.. Unisex going through the change? Hey it's the new millennium people.. Sh!t just got real.

chriisteex 10

#50 You have a long way to go buddy...

#49, a mans index finger is smaller than his wedding ring finger, and vice versa for women.

#85 That's not always foolproof. The index finger on my right hand is smaller, but on my left hand they're pretty much the same length. Also know a lot of females who were born with a smaller indexfinger.

metalcrazed 21

Both males and females have adam's apples,look it up.

Yes but typically it's more prominent in men.

I can see it now... "Today, I walked into some place to use their restroom. However, I needed a key to get in. The lady that went to open the door for me opened the door to the girl's room. I'm a guy. FML" (or something like that xD)

Gearden 8

I would have asked and said it was store policy.

That would be very awkward FYL. But honestly they know how they dress and how they look so they really shouldn't get mad at people for confusing their genders. They're the ones who cause it by how they look. Not trying to judge and be a dick but people who dress look that way shouldn't get upset it was an honest mistake.

#2 some ppl don't even realize the way they're dressing affects their "gender Identity"

They'll learn, the easy way or the hard way!

be like I was going to open both of the bathroom doors. and I really want to know the gender of this person

#8: I think it should be obvious but I can be wrong sooo yeah

I just think that they have had the situation before and wouldn't get upset over it

#8, you mean gender expression. Gender identity is a whole different thing.

Nurd4lyfe 7

Why didn't you just unlock both?

SarahSehhati 40

They probably were standing somewhere around the OP

buttcramp 21

but OP could have said "let me unlock both that way someone else won't have the same hassle. thanks for your patience."

Maybe the restrooms were located far from each other

It happens; just apologize. Honestly, they might've had to deal with it before. If anything F their life :/

I honestly don't see anything wrong with being androgynous :)

Agreed. And if you have to take a chance, I would say guess female. Typically, from my experiences, if there is any question what gender a male is, he is someone who doesn't care all that much about the way he looks. I'm only making an observation based on what I have personally encountered, so I am liable to be misled.

I'm sure OP apologized. Honestly, the best way out of a situation like this is to joke. Laugh and say "I'm guessing you'd want to go into the girls one then." If it was a guy, they would laugh and shake their head no, and say "Yeah.". If it's a woman, they would be puzzled and say, "Uh, yeah." The woman would think your weird, but at least you didn't make her feel down on herself; the guy would think you're juvenile. This still may not work, and they may say nothing, especially if they are older. If all else failed I would unlock both, and walk away. Why should I feel awkward? Don't let yourself be a victim of social awkwardness, OP.

While that sucks, next time you could just either give them the key or usher them ahead to the door so they can point it out? I guess there isn't really a best way to do this. FYL

I would have pretended I unlocked the wrong one without realizing it. Like "oh it's been a long day I wasn't even paying attention to which bathroom I was unlocking!"

I thought this too, but if OP didn't plan this beforehand it's not a trivial improvisation.

Or pretend that you're unlocking both bathrooms

You should have given them the key and if it was the wrong key then just have been like "oh I grabbed the wrong one" haha

Sometimes they're locked for a reason, giving the customer the key may not be a good idea. :x

That's really awkward, but it's more their fault for not making it clear which gender they are

buttcramp 21

you should do some research in the LGBT community. I have a friend who is physically female but mentally male and hasn't started testosterone treatments yet so he is always referred to as "she" and he can't help that he has a feminine figure, but it causes a lot of self hatred and people who don't understand just make it worse.

Isn't that defines someone who is gay, physically born one sex but is mentally another?

No, gender identity and sexual orientation aren't necessarily linked at all.

TheDrifter 23

41, but that wouldn't matter here, as in most cases the law still regards physical sex as the determiner for public restroom facilities, not inner gender identity.

#41 That's nice. I had a friend in school who looked like a male. She was always referred to as a boy, told to line up in the boys line. She would simply correct them and say she was a girl. It's an honest mistake. Life goes on

#48 Which is why I never understood why us gay people are grouped in with the Ts...

Or why us "Ts" are always grouped with you gays. Just because my sex and gender are different doesn't mean I like the same sex. >.>

daisiebud 18

#58 A lot of transgender people look like their gender, not their biological sex. Especially if they take hormones. So if someone who looks like a guy goes into the girls bathroom, he's gonna get yelled at, even if he has a ******. And for people whose biological sex is male but who identify as women, they risk getting beat up if they go into the guys bathroom. It happens. Really, which bathroom you're supposed to go into isn't based on your gender OR sex. It's based on which gender you look like. Which is why it's so important to have gender neutral bathrooms available.

kittykat1501 31

79 gender and sex are the same thing

That's awesome, hope they took it well

I don't think you understand what "awesome" means.

Maybe you should've unlocked both bathroom doors to make a quick save. Although, that mistake is very understandable.