By Chefinblack - 19/10/2015 22:13 - Australia

Today, at my prestigious sous chef job, I was preparing to plate up expensive entrees for a function of 150 people. After arriving to work 2 hours early to finalize finishing touches, they call the restaurant 5 minutes before their booking stating, 'We can't be bothered anymore, sorry.' FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 007
You deserved it 1 532

Same thing different taste

Company time

By IStillHaveMy8hrShiftToGo - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United States - Beaverton

Today, I came in to work early at a restaurant to help out. I stocked, baked pies for the next day, cleaned and set over 50 tables, and vacuumed the entire two stories. When I went to send an order for the first customer of mine, I realized I hadn't even clocked on. Four and half hours of work wasted. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 748
You deserved it 10 911

Top comments

Doesn't your job have some kind of policy for that? I mean, they can't just cancel orders.. I hope they gotta pay for it, but still a huge bummer for you. Sorry OP!

So what happens in the situation? Because of the size and it sounds preordered, do they still have to pay a %? Or is it just a we didn't go so we don't pay type of thing? Also that sucks you did all that work for nothing. Hopefully you still got paid for the time you put in no matter what though! Hopefully you got to eat the expensive food. Haha.

Comments

^ When someone wants the first comment that is guaranteed likes.

Doesn't your job have some kind of policy for that? I mean, they can't just cancel orders.. I hope they gotta pay for it, but still a huge bummer for you. Sorry OP!

Can't they sue for that? I don't know how it works since i work in an ice cream store. But if a group or person orders something expensive and time consuming then they should pay a certain % or the whole thing. And since it's a function did they pay for reservations beforehand?

A lot of times in my restaurant when we book larger parties, they'll write out a contract and have a credit card on file to prevent such situations. I REALLY hope OP had something like this in place so they at least get paid for all that work.

#44 for events that big my old place charged up front, price per head

Sorry OP, hopefully they didn't all go to waste

So what happens in the situation? Because of the size and it sounds preordered, do they still have to pay a %? Or is it just a we didn't go so we don't pay type of thing? Also that sucks you did all that work for nothing. Hopefully you still got paid for the time you put in no matter what though! Hopefully you got to eat the expensive food. Haha.

Sorry hit the thumb down instead of up by mistake

well they paid like a 10% deposit for it all but the problem is that it barely covers the food cost and all the labour that'd been put in for the last 4 days

I would still make them pay for the effort, canceling last minute like that is a dick move, and I work in the restaurant industry so I know how hard it is.

That sucks I hope they had to pay a large cancellation few.

They should have to pay for everything; y'all already bought / cooked / played the food, and there's no time to get another client to replace them.

Most countries actually have civil laws that deal with this type of stuff. They generally state something like "stepping away from a contract requires a valid reason". Doing so without such a reason, especially such a short time prior to the event, usually results in valid claims of damage compensation, the height of which can vary based on the specific country. [Here in Germany, you'd be able to demand the production costs for the food, including materials, manhours, electricity etc., but not including a notable profit margin.

They must have paid a non refundable deposit, right?

I hope that had to pay a huge non refundable deposit

MedChew 19

I would be devastated. Staring at all the painstakingly plated entrees which will go uneaten and into the bin. Sorry OP...

Hopefully your efforts were not waisted, and the food was not thrown out. I'm sure shelters would have loved the food and then it could be a tax write off for the business.

I hope they have to still pay for that! Sorry Op, tardiness is frustrating!