By hhhhhhhpeterwut - 19/02/2013 03:21 - United States - Bethesda

Today, as my lame excuse to not give a guy I met at a club my phone number, I told him I didn't have a cell phone. Guess what I checked when he asked me what time it was a few minutes later. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 356
You deserved it 54 802

Same thing different taste

Top comments

darth1 18

You should have just straight up said no.

JR_Goes_Rawr 11

That guy is pretty smart to trick you into revealing your lie. You could have told him you were holding your friends phone, or something like that.

Comments

tralala453 22

Wouldn't it have been much easier to tell the truth...?

dontpanic_fml 32

"Much easier", it definitely wouldn't be. As much as guys love screaming at us for not just being honest, the gender sure likes making these situations extremely awkward and difficult. We are actually trying to maneuver the situation and preserve feelings which some men make near impossible...

But if you say "no", most guys will ask you "why?" a hundred times. "I don't give my number to people I've just met" "but why come on" "no, I don't want to" "why?" "I don't want to" "So you never want to see me again?" "No, sorry" and that's when you get flipped off and everybody's hurt

dontpanic_fml 32

EXACTLY. I am tired of coddling to this aquafiltered world you and so many other guys seem to live in, 38. Please read 41's comment over and over until you realize that this is what we have to deal with, not "can I have your number?" "I prefer not" "ok, that's cool!"

It's never a good idea to tell (presumably) drunk people to **** off...

dontpanic_fml 32

For one, giga is right (we are trying not to get hurt), and while I do understand what you're saying, you can't fault us for trying to get out of the spot as painlessly as possible. We're being nice, not rude. So it would be nice for girls to not be constantly put on the defensive in this matter.

shan88 14

70 that's great that you would have enough respect to accept that, it truly is and that would make you more approachable, but a lot of men aren't like that (especially under the influence or around friends) and they don't take kindly to being told no and can even become quite aggressive so more often that not it is easier and sometimes safer for us to make something up and get out of that situation as quickly as possible

What you need to remember, also, is that guys are very seldom alone in clubs. Even saying "no, I am not giving out my number. I am not really interested thanks", can make him and his friends become aggressive, saying things like "cold bitch, he just wants to talk" and become physically intimidating.

dontpanic_fml 32

Thanks guys; yes, 70, the entire point is that the majority (yes the majority) of guys who will ask for a number are not going to react in the manner that you say you do. They will become aggressive. They will NOT leave you alone. You keep saying that we need to respect a dude enough to be honest but you need to understand that respect is not in play as it is the last thing we are being shown.

@#70 - You're definitely the exception to the rule, then. Trust me, woman would love to pay men the respect of saying, "No, sorry, I'm not interested." The majority of us do not enjoy lying. Unfortunately, WE do not receive the respect of stating our preference and walking away. We're usually questioned, insulted, and occasionally assaulted with beverages. I've taken to wearing a ring on my left ring finger and some guys STILL do not accept "No." The majority of good men will not attack and assault me on a poorly lit street, but I'm not going to go for a midnight stroll and test the theory, am I? I'm going to take steps to protect myself and avoid the situation.

@#70 - If you ever decide to offer etiquette classes to men, I'm sure women everywhere would be grateful. You're a rare breed, if only because many men try to act more "manly" in front of their friends in the face of rejection.

strawberrywine22 30

While you're right that was a lame excuse, you could've said it was out of service or something.

1-0 for the guy at the bar... He now deserves the right number!! Well played sir, well played.

BlackBlazeCobra 16

You should have said no, then this could have been that guy's FML.

An hourglass? A sundial? Your biological clock?

Are you Ironman's "simple" brother? 'cos I detect a distinct irony smell.

honesty in that situation is always the best policy