By alexbrooke - 16/09/2013 02:49 - United States - Paintsville

Today, as I started my car, I heard the most horrific sounds coming from the engine. When I lifted the hood I realized I'd found my son's cat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 574
You deserved it 4 590

alexbrooke tells us more.

Hey! OP here! the cat actually was wrapped around the Serpentine belt! No.it did not survive, and my car is in the shop, being cleaned out with a new belt. Sad thing my son was in the car, he kept saying Mommy! what is it?! The cat has been lost, I actually hadn't drove my car for a couple of days so I'm not sure how long it was actually in there. I am surprised how.many people this has happened to, glad it wasnt just me!

Top comments

KittyKillsalot 7

Are you sure it didn't just go to live on a farm, op?

So who wants to be the one to break it to 1.. I don't have the heart

Comments

hollyanne27 9

Buy your son a dog. They're more intelligent pets.

MermaidAnnariea 10

you must be new to the internet.

Wonder_Woman9932 5

Your stupidity amazed me, animals are all intelligen, being cat or dog. You can actually train a dog(;

The **** kind of parent are you to allow your son to somehow get a cat into the hood of a car? And you also don't notice your cat missing, and maybe ask your son about it? And if he's of young age and didn't know any better, how the hell does he have the keys to your car? If he's older, why the **** is he so immature he puts a cat in your cars engine? This is seriously disgusting, you're a ****** up parent with a ****** up family. That or this is fake, which I would really hope.

Are you retarded? Cats can climb up in there on their own! Please do not breed. You are too stupid.

It unfortunately quite common for cats to be found under the hoods of cars, by their own accord, nothing to do with anyone putting them in there. Also, who follows their cat around every minute of the day to know where it is? It was an awful accident.

Wow, where do I even start with you. Have you never heard of outdoor cats? Or at least partially outdoor cats? Plenty of people let their cats roam around the yard. Next, these outdoor cats sometimes seek shelter within the engine compartment of cars to get out of the rain, snow, etc. They climb up through the bottom all on their own, no one puts them there. You can't judge OP's parenting on a tragic accident. Clearly she feels bad about it or she wouldn't have thought it was a big enough deal to write an FML.

adam_tajyar 10

Poor cat that sucks. At least it was accident and not intentionally

Grauncho 27

I wasn't aware a cat's purr was the most horrific of sounds.

Killtheguilt 3

I wonder how you will explain this to him...

:( and that's why (if it wasn't) cats should always be indoor cats.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I don't agree. I live on 5 acres of land. I rescued a feral cat who wandered up when she was a year or so old. She's 6 or 7 now and still lives outside, although at night she sleeps in the garage. She wouldn't do well inside because she's used to being outdoors, she's not an indoor cat. So there are some instances where it's okay to have outdoor cats.

mimiminx 23

In England we very rarely have indoor cats unless people live by main roads or their cats are expensive breeds. I don't get the American obsession with keeping cats indoors. Cats are meant to be out and about, prowling, climbing and hunting and doing what cats do. Thumb me down all you want but I don't really see the point of having a pet that you don't allow to do what it's meant to do.

RedPillSucks 31

I imagine cats are probably kept indoors so they don't decimate the local small wildlife. People are also worried about losing them to traffic.

#46 where I live there are cyotes, rattlesnakes, and owls. Sometimes people keep their cats indoors for safety.

One additional reason why American pets tend to be kept inside is because American homes tend to be on the bigger side to begin with. There's enough extra space in the average single family home for a single cat or dog to live indoors full-time and not really be in the way. European and British homes tend to be more efficient space-wise, and limited space makes it less practical to keep a full-time indoor pet.

Mademoiselle_fml 34

I keep mine mainly inside but let them out when they want to, unless it's nighttime, which is when I keep them inside so they'll sleep inside because they're not that used to the outdoors. But we made them indoor cats because the really feral outdoor cats always end up getting run over or get lots of diseases. So, we give them the outdoor time that they need and crave, but they're mainly indoor cats for their own safety. Oh and of course, inside all day on the 4th of July.

Cats are also meant to fight to the death over their territory and most pet owners don't want to let that happen. In the city a cat's territory is much smaller than it would be in the wild, so letting them out isn't quite how it would be naturally. Also there are unnatural things cats will encounter in the city, so you can't have cats live "as they're meant to" unless you're out in the country. Many more cars in towns and cities than in the country. And what about people who make it their mission to pick up cats and bring them into the pound? You can give them collars and tags, but that also presents an unnatural danger. Collars can catch on something and trap or hang a cat and if it comes off, well then it's of no use anyway.

That would be because the population of cats (and dogs for that matter) in the United States is already much too high and it promotes the breeding of more animals that cannot support themselves in their given environment due to overpopulation. Another reason is, indoor cats live longer by 3 to 5 years. Believe it or not, we have our reasons.