By desperate - 05/10/2012 09:47 - Malta - Paola

Today, as an introduction to the history of China, I asked my APA World History class to write a 500 word essay on a historical Chinese person. Out of a class of 18, five of them were about Mulan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 031
You deserved it 5 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I bet a lot of them were about Jackie Chan as well

See, I would have been more creative... Mine would have been about Mushu.

Comments

FilleNoir 21

They don't realise Mulan is a cartoon? Oh dear.

A cartoon character based on a real person

There is also a proper film version too. Not just a cartoon

betseyville 6

The story of Hua/Fa Mulan is centuries old. Unless they talked specifically about the Disney movie, I don't see a problem.

They did their reports on her 'cause she was awesome! ... But, yeah, FYL.

katwoman9 3

7 Mulan is Chinese, trust me I live in China :) All the culture stuff in the movie is Chinese.

Icedjesus--Milan is in Italy, and Mulan is Chinese.

It's unfortunate that so few people care to know about anything that they haven't seen a movie about first. I wish books were more popular :/ so much more fun

I'm just happy kids even know the stories and historical figures exist...even if it's only in movie form. Disney (and its copycats) might bastardize a lot of their source material, but how many kids would have known about stories like Hunchback of Notre Dame or historical figures like Pocahontas, Princess Anastasia and Mulan if they hadn't seen the movie versions first?

How did your students even get into AP? Is this where America's standards have fallen to make sure below average kids don't get their feelings hurt?

LAP is not that hard to get into from my experience. One way is to always be in advance courses due to exceeding the standardized tests that allowed you in. another way is to have an A or a B in a regular course the following year, like an A (usually A, unless the teacher thinks youre capable but gave you a B to be hard on you) or a B & a teacher recommendation. It's not hard to get an A or a B in most regular classes because the standards have lowered for normal performing students because they dropped the classes that were between regular & remedial. Those were the classes that helped struggling students because the government found it unnecessary 30 years ago, according to one of my old teachers. Those classes were slower pace & had similar work as regular classes. So because the standards for regular classes have dropped so much, lazy kids could be put in classes that they are not ready for. I stopped taking AP my senior year after being in it for 6 years & boy was regular nothing close to AP. I could get homework done at the start of class while it used to take me hours to do it. I didn't ever study when I could do it before class & I had so much free time on my hands. Sad part was, some of these kids thought they could handle AP but they could not. When they switched to AP they struggled to get a D & were forced to drop. A D is unacceptable & not even worth it at AP level, no college credit at all. The only people who could handle it were people like myself, who just tested at AP from a younger age & took advanced courses for years.