By Chumpee - 08/06/2016 17:17 - United States - Akron

Today, after years busting my hump for my father's business with the understanding of one day taking it over, he informed me that my nephew, who has never shown any interest in the company, is being brought in to take it over. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 787
You deserved it 943

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Thats messed up. Any certain reason OP?

ChristianH39 30

Not to be a devil's advocate, but this is one of those fmls that need a more thorough explanation IMO. A poor worker generally still thinks they're a good worker in my experience, so while from OP's perspective he was busting his hump, that may not necessarily be the case. Or he may just be underappreciated in which case assassination of the nephew is the only option.

Either way his father should have told him earlier though.

oldie_goldie 13

I think running a business has more to do with management skills that with simply working? Perhaps the dad simply neglected to teach his son about managing and used him as a workhorse, which results in him not being qualified for taking over (but rather a good executive). And all workers generally improve on their trade after a few years, even if they are poor to begin with - especially if someone is there to show them the works. All in all, some dads are just dicks.

amileah13 26

If you can, let him know how you feel about that. Pretty shitty that he's not having his own son take over the business.

flyingflies 36

'If you can'? 'IF'? Heck no, he should definitely tell his father what he thinks about this turn of events and demand an explanation, at the very least!

flyingflies 36

Also, the main problem is not that he is not passing the business over to his son, but to another family member. The main problem is that OP has worked hard and the father isn't keeping his end of the deal.

#15, It's like being in politics for over 30 years and expecting to become president but some guy shows up with a small loan of a million dollars with fantasies of wall building and thrashes you in the polls

There was no deal. The son just assumed he was going to inherit it

While I don't see the nephew inheriting as the problem, I want to call a bit of BS on it not mattering because of the lack of a formal contract. Most parents that build businesses raise their kids with the business becoming their responsibility looking over their heads. A lot of them go so far as to try to control everything about the kids life to 'prime' them to take over. They basically socially isolate their heir from any and everything except prepping to assume the role of owner. And then some of them bring in someone else who's never been mentioned and essentially say, "You weren't good enough, so I got a better one. You can say good bye to all the responsibility I prepped you for, and all the benefits too." So maybe nothing was in paper- but it definitely sounds like there was an agreement in place, possibly even a verbal contract. Even excluding the poisonous cases, in most cases where a parent owns a business, it's generally accepted as fact by the child, family, and even community that the child will inherit. Not saying something earlier was a dick move on the father's part, and it not being a written contract does not exempt him from the guilt. OP could have started their own business or left to pursue an alternate career if he had known earlier. As it stands now, he's going to be stuck at a job with a younger relative holding a position that OP has probably been trained for, for several years. That's a dick move on the dad's part, and he honestly deserves a kick to the bullocks.

What an ungrateful father you have. You sacrificed years working for him when you could have working somewhere else that appreciates you. I would see about finding a new job and let your father see he made a decision.

hellobobismyname 24

Not necessarily. Unless it was explicitly promised to OP, their dad has every right to pass on the company to whoever he chooses. It's not like OP worked for free.. If he wasn't working hard at the father's company, he would still be working hard somewhere. It's hardly a sacrifice. He got paid. He got experience. It may be frustrating, but it is still a business. OP chose to be there. Unfortunately, the father chose a different heir. Both are entitled to their own choice. Does not necessarily mean the father was ungrateful. There are other ways to show gratefulness than handing down a whole company..

OP could actually be a really bad worker and is only employed there because it's his dad's company. Also the nephew could also have experience or training at running a business where OP might not. There is a big difference between knowing how to build the widget that the company produces VS actually managing and running a company.

**** your father. seriously what the **** is wrong with him.

Too many pieces of the puzzle missing...time to have a man to man talk...

All I can say is just because you can work at the company doesn't mean you can run it. Not enough info to know if this is the case or not though.

Taemyks 5

Come on. That's how nepotism is supposed to work.

Well that's not fair. Maybe talk to your father and find out his reasons behind it. Maybe your nephew seems more qualified for the job? Also, if your nephew isn't interested maybe both of you can talk to your father. Hope everything works out, OP!

Life's not fair. Saddle of for a ride and hold on. It gets bumpy and knocks you down. Don't be a pussy, get back up and kick its ass

oj101 33

Perhaps your father trusts you to be the workhorse of the company for the key aspect(s) that makes the company successful whilst the nephew is "the manager" where he doesn't really have to do much in capacity - only making calls, telling employees what to do and negotiating with suppliers etc