By Mexican - 19/06/2016 03:06 - United States - Chicago

Today, after two weeks of trying to convince my parents to go to my high school graduation. They finally gave in. After they handed me my diploma, they decided to leave because it was "too boring." I'm currently sitting on the curb of the street waiting for my Uber, while people take pictures of me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 465
You deserved it 1 491

Same thing different taste

Top comments

wowbuddy 19

Those are some shitty parents OP, FYL

Parents like them don't deserve a child like you. Sorry to hear that OP.

Comments

Ironman_I_Am 7

Next time they ask you to go with them somewhere and you don't want to go always bring this up. Sorry OP

Mine left me at graduation too. Sorry! I know it sucks

Hopefully those people taking pictures make a good meme out of you

kingdomgirl94 29

My dad left my grade 8 graduation early, and tried to make me, my boyfriend (who was in grade 11 at the time and is now my fiance) and my boyfriend's mom all leave my graduation before I even got my diploma. I was standing with my graduating class and he walks up to me and says that he wants to leave and tried to make me leave too. I stood my ground and stayed, and so did everyone else. I'm the first and only person in my family to graduate high school, so it's not even a matter of having gone to a lot of them. Some people only think about their own comfort and dont think about how other people are feeling. I'm sorry you had to go through this OP. Congrats on making it through school!

Why on earth is there a high school graduation? I went to one. My university one. The others one are too minor an event to graduate from, everyone does it and so isn't it a bit of waste of time/none special?

For some, they may be the first in a large family to graduate and that is a big deal for their family. For others, their parents never had the opportunity to graduate and it's a huge milestone for their parents to see that their kids are going to have a better future and more opportunities than they ever had.

You're very narrow-minded. Accomplishments, no matter how small they may seem to you, are still accomplishments. You don't know what some people had to go through to complete their schooling. Everyone who graduates, no matter what level, deserves to be acknowledged. With all the problems that students at ALL levels experience (bullying, school shootings, family problems, etc), we as a society need to celebrate successes like these. Don't ever think that everyone had an easy journey through school.

We suffered through 12 years of school to get to the point of graduation. Which is something that will help you in life. I think that merits a little celebration and congratulations.

kingdomgirl94 29

I don't know where you live, but a lot of people don't graduate. Lots drop out as soon as they can, or don't finish with enough credits or volunteer hours. Graduating is an accomplishment!

onemellowidiot 2

I'll be playing the parents' advocate here. We have no idea why the girl was asking her parents to show up. #28 has given quite a good explanation. I'm trying to add to that now. Without OP's explanation on why she wanted her parents to come so much (2 weeks of convincing), we can only hypothesize. If OP were a nagging daughter whom her parents thought not too highly of, it would be quite a normal thing for them not wanting to come. Another possibility is that she wants an expensive college? I don't really know, but again, this is FML, right? Everybody thinks he/she is the victim. If she were a beloved daughter, she wouldn't even have to convince them to come. This is also a possibility. I'm not saying the parents aren't shitty, they are. But why are they shitty? That's what I'm curious about now.

Congratulations on your graduation. The next time you have a major event like a university graduation or a wedding don't invite them. When they ask why they wasn't invited to the party just tell them that you didn't want to bore them with another major event from your life.

I'm still going to invite them to huge milestones in my life because I refuse to be the asshole that they were to me. If they decide not to go by all means **** them.

Where are you from that EVERYONE graduates from high school? Everywhere I have lived high school graduation is a big deal and a reason to celebrate.

crazy_bananas 31

Pretty much anywhere in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, pretty much almost every first world country.

I live in Ireland and we aren't given a graduation as such...In late May, on the evening of our last day in school (where we sat around and ate sweets, cake and sandwiches all day supplied by the school), we go to the church or the PE hall and have a 'Graduation Mass' attended by parents and teachers and is given by the parish priest to bless us, wish us well on our upcoming exams and future endeavours (I don't care for religion, but it is a nice sentiment). I don't know about other schools, but we didn't have a cap and gown thing or given certificates (Leaving Certificate results are given in July/August time, just). Then after the Mass or a few nights later we have "Grad Night", where someone organises a night out in a nightclub and we all get smashed...Then of course there's the Debs/Prom in August...

kingdomgirl94 29

Speak for yourself 54. I'm in Canada and grad was a big deal and not everyone graduates! My older brother and my step brother in law are never graduated, and one is my age and the other only a few years older. A lot of people don't graduate, you just don't notice them because they're not there.

When you get a job and make money then theyll come running back to you... Thats when u say no