By Anonymous - 19/11/2010 19:38 - United States

Today, after three weeks of my boss telling me how much he appreciates my hard work and has submitted my name up for a promotion, he called me into his office to announce I'm being laid off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 153
You deserved it 2 348

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did anyone else think that maybe he did like him and wanted him promoted, but then the company had to fire some people and he happened to be one who was fired?

Often it's the talented people who get laid off because they're near the top of the salary range for their position, so firing them "saves money". Salary is easy to quantify, whereas the value-add of a better-trained or more experienced employee is sometimes not so easy to put in dollars-and-cents. It's an outgrowth of the current school of "management by Powerpoint slide".

Comments

blaze_1492 0

At least you know that if you weren't laid off, you'd be making more money...

RosiePatosie 0

That sucks! Maybe you screwed up or something? Sorry about that.

Being laid off sucks none the less, But I agree with 16. The place I work fired a technician that had been working there for 19 years only to replace him with 2 new people. Sometimes they just look at, "is he worth that much for his position?" and if not then...well you know first hand. Sorry man!

You should have asked him if you could have the promotion first and then he could fire your replacement instead. At the very least, the idea would have confused him enough to let you keep your job until he figured out what you were asking for.

That has happened to me before. its def not an FML because it was for the better. My boss was trying to 'save money' to buy a house he told us so he had to lay us of. you deserved something better and higher so thats what i searched for! go ahead open another door! good luck buddy :)

Well OP, since he only submitted your name for a promotion, it wasn't guaranteed and in these hard economic times you should expect a decent likelihood of getting laid off. On the bright side however, if you've been at the company long enough you may very well qualify for unemployment. But you should also take this time to go out and look for another job. No one likes someone who just sits around the house and believe me once you're on unemployment you'll miss working. After all you have that degree for a reason right? Good luck hope all works out for ya.

wDeemish 0

Your boss is a fucktard _|_ 

it was probably something out of his control...