By Anonymous - 18/01/2015 16:34 - Ireland

Today, after the longest time, I went to the gym. I ran and ran and ran on the treadmill for an eternity, beating myself up for getting so overweight. Then I tripped and fell off, sweating and sobbing for being so useless. When I looked up, I saw I'd been on the machine for barely 2 minutes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 957
You deserved it 20 682

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Soon those two minutes will turn into twenty. You are putting the effort in, which is more than a lot of people can say for themselves.

Don't worry about being overweight and going to the gym. At least people can see you are actively trying to pursue a goal. Keep your head up OP! :)

Comments

You shouldn't push yourself so hard! You won't last long if you go from 0 to 100 like that. Just be kind to yourself and take your time.

I completely agree. I think op should start with just walking then once she can walk for 20 minutes or so do the walk with a bit of a jog thrown in, and just keep moving from there. You don't want to hurt yourself op, if you're going to do it, do it right so that you don't hurt yourself and give up. Start slow, baby steps...then you'll just be able to do more and more!

josiemorehouse 12

#s 11 & 103 are right, OP jumped too fast. You'll only end up discouraged. And some people just CAN'T run. I'm one of those people. I can walk or speed walk for 5-7 miles, but I can't run for more than 2 minutes. I have never been able to run. OP, try walking, and aim for a pace of 3.5-4. Maybe add uphill to the treadmill if you can. Also, try another exercise to add in, something cardio. How about swimming laps in the pool? That's a great fat-burning exercise. Don't give up, OP, you can do it!!! :)

Don't worry about being overweight and going to the gym. At least people can see you are actively trying to pursue a goal. Keep your head up OP! :)

Exactly ! People go to the gym for these reasons: to lose weight, get fit, relax, release stress, etc

Remember this, above all, "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

If you keep going regularly you will get better.

Dude, you are already streets ahead of people that just lounge and continue to gain weight by taking that first step. I used to be overweight when I was younger but one day I said enough was enough and did something about it. I didn't go balls to the wall, I just started by taking long walks, 1 mile, then 2, then 3, then 6, then mixing in running too and i dropped 20 pounds in 2 months. Just go steady, because then it becomes a lifestyle change, not just an attempted knee jerk quick fix. Keep it up OP and keep pushing.

Saying someone is better than another person just because they weigh less is ignorant and probably on my 'top 100 stupidest ******* things I have heard' list.

109, I'm not sure where you read that in the above comment, but I can assure you it's not actually written there.

"you are streets ahead of people that just lounge and continue to gain weight."

Well it is absolutely true that OP is "streets ahead" of others. She is undeniably closer to accomplishing her goal of losing weight and getting fit than those who remain inactive. But why on earth should that mean that she's a better person?

Those that are happy at their weight should be streets ahead of her. They already attained their goal. Everyone has a different weight they want to be at just because some want to be at a lower weight than others shouldn't put them streets ahead. I believe a famous singer had a big hit about this.

#109 You're right, OP is not 'intrinsically' better than anyone else. I'm sure many people who would fit my description of "lounge and continue to gain weight" would best OP in many areas such as cooking, music, writing, intelligence, wealth, etc. However, given the FML's subject matter; getting in shape and losing weight, as well as its category; health, one would assume the comparison, though implied, is accurate. Under the aegis of health and getting in shape, OP 'IS' better than someone who does nothing to improve their own health, at best because of apathy, or at worst, knowing they have a problem, but doing nothing about it/ making it worse/ blaming others for their own problem, either directly (blaming food companies/advertising) or the perception that it is a problem (society, not to mention medical professionals, but what do they know). On this point, we may have just to agree to disagree As for the famous singer and big hit, I would assume you are talking about Meghan Trainor's "All About that Bass". There's a video on Youtube; A Dose Of Buckley's "Body Shaming (All About that Bass)" that pretty much matches my sentiments so I'm not going to reiterate it, though watching it will round out my argument. One point not addressed in that video is in the lyric "Nah I'm just playing I know you think you're fat" in that it suggests that 'skinny' people also think they are fat, therefore everyone thinks they're fat, so don't worry, its okay to be fat (not that it's not okay, barring medical opinion, but hey that's just an opinion, a professional one...), therefore you're actually ahead of the curve. While some might fit that lyric, I'm sure most don't, myself being one of them. While my motivation to begin exercise was indeed to lose weight, that is not my motivation now. 'Skinny people' do not make choices based solely on the avoidance of becoming fat. I continue to exercise because I get a rush out of knowing I'm getting stronger and faster and reaching my goals in terms of lifting weights. Can't really speak for others so I won't. Also, I pretty much regard any of Meghan Trainor's songs and sentiments as null and void due to the blatant contradiction between her songs "All About that Bass" and "Lips Are Moving" in that in the former she's "all about that bass" (ad nauseam) and in the latter, shes singing to a hypothetical guy "please tell me you're not just about this bass". If the guy is "just about that bass" I guess she would reject him even though that's all she's about, if not, then he wouldn't be interested in her because again, that's all she's about. Lastly, I'm a little disappointed no one picked up on my Community reference. Just as Pierce Hawthorne was unsuccessful in coining the term "streets ahead" so have I.

That's okay miss you are trying, don't be so hard on yourself just stay motivated to keep going back and you'll lose the weight

You need to break yourself n gently. I've been there. There are far too many YDI who clearly don't appreciate the struggle of the normal person.

I'm shocked at the number of ydi versus all the positive comments! I was sad there were so many ydi and though I was going to read all these negative comments. So happy to see everyone encouraging Op and cheering her on!

Running on a treadmill puts unnecessary stress on an overweight person's joints. Try walking the treadmill, or the exercise bike, which is lower impact.

Guess what I go to the weight room every morning and it's not very difficult to do so, so therefore it's your fault that you took no initiative to be in shape.. And if someone for say goes there every morning or even every other morning the burden isn't even that bad.. Your body will get used to it.. But now that you started don't stop or else your actually wasting your time

17 and already have all the answers. So cute.

MzZombicidal 36

I was unaware that everyone followed the exact same routine and had the exact same body type. Thanks, #24! Also I'm pretty sure she realizes it's her fault and that's why she's going to the gym. Derp.

Well everyone's like oh your fat I feel so bad for you.. It's their fault they didn't do anything to prevent it, unless it is medical