By ThanksDog - 05/06/2016 21:26

Today, after months of planning the perfect night with my brother, who was coming home for 2 weeks from the military, he cancelled because he "missed his dog". FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 476
You deserved it 1 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not sure if he just got back from deployment, but his mind might be all over the place. Deployments (and military life in general) can be pretty stressful. Also, does he actually know about this perfect night you planned? I have to ask.

Military life isn't easy OP, give your brother a break. This leave is only two weeks, which probably doesn't seem like much to him when he's been deprived of comforts, like his dog. I'm sure he wants to see you, but it's important to let him have some time to himself first.

Comments

Be happy for him! Maybe he just isn't ready to face family right now and wants a few hours to himself. If you've seen the home coming videos of dogs and their owners, you'd know that you're not the only one who misses him.

Come on, my dogs are my kids....being that they miss their humans just as much but dont have the luxury of being anle to verbally communicate with us effectively. Get over it, understand your brother missed his furry kid, he can always talk to you, but his pooch is another story. Not even a valid case in my book, my fuzzy babies come first in my book

cootiequeen4444 11

while I wouldn't say I value my dog more than my immediate family, you have a good point regarding communication. Last time I checked dogs can't text/email and while some dogs interact via phone and/or video chat somewhat I know my dog did not at all. he just thinks it's the TV or music and just ignores it. and Even if OP's brother wanted to spend the entire two weeks with his brother, I'd be less worried about plans or ones personal feels and more concerned about the brother's well-being and what could have possibly happened to make him withdraw so much.. while knowing not to pry of course. unless he was always like that. in which op should've known better...

no offense but a dog is a mans best friend and he probaly wanted to be alone with his dog to relax after serving out in the front lines

jcash52426 5

And that's why dogs are mans best friend!!!!

kozuu 7

screw your plans, go hang out with him and his dog.

man_in_black08 28

Sounds like you are planning a perfect date or something. Chill. Serving in the force isnt easy and there is alot of mental stress and depression. Let the guy do and say as he feels without external pressure. He gets enough already to begin with.

bobsanction 18

Guess he has his priorities in order.

orangejubejube 20

As it's been said, military life is hard. As someone who's served time and has many family members in and out; leave is precious time, and while I don't doubt that he wants to see you, it's a very overwhelming time and sometimes all you're mentally capable of doing is curling up with your best furry friend, block out the world, and enjoy that simple time. Though yup may feel dissed, the best thing you can do is be available for support and love - he'll surely see you before he has to go back, and would probably really appreciate your understanding to reschedule.

I agree that he probably needs to just needs some alone quiet time first. I have heard it can take days to get home and it's all very stressful. Then you have the worries of visiting everyone that wants to have your time, and there just aren't enough days /hours to please everyone. I imagine leave is sometimes more stress than being over there...sometimes.

Probably some other seeded issues don't be offended.. Dogs don't ever judge!