By Annoyed student - 29/04/2017 04:00

Today, after extensively researching how to properly use in text citations out of fear of my professor reporting me for citing my quotes incorrectly. She reported me instead for forgetting quotation marks on three of my proudly and properly cited quotes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 780
You deserved it 1 537

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, to be fair, they aren't properly cited without quotation marks no matter how much time you spent on them

Druu 53

To be pedantic, they're "quotation marks," and not "quotations." To be less of a jerk but also to point out something relevant, block quotes do not use quotation marks. They get their own line, go one font size down, and get an extra indentation on both right and left margins.

Comments

marsmonkey 8

I'm really sorry- that's rough. Unfortunately, if you didn't include quotation makes you did not in fact appropriately cite your sources. They indicate the difference between a cited quote and a cited paraphrase, which is pretty significant. I'm sorry that you got in trouble; I hope things go better in the future.

species4872 19

Meanwhile on Oddee, FML actually appeared in a list "11 Worst Promposals Ever "

Ughwhateverhomie 2

Learn how to write a legitimate paper. Done.

I'm sorry, how are they 'properly' cited if you forgot quotation marks?!

Well you should always have someone check your work before submitting it.

Although reporting you was a severe overreaction, if the text in question WAS a quotation, and wasn't distinguished by something else (like being formatted as a block quote), that's still technically plagiarism. This is something a lot of college level composition courses go over. If the text isn't formatted as a quote, you're presenting it as your own. The citation only sources the information given within the text. That said, if it wasn't a quote, then you're 100% in the right, and even if it was, reporting someone for academic dishonesty over that rather than just warning them or marking them down is being grotesquely punitive.

Mairin Sheary Smith 9

This is why you triple check everything. Welcome to college. Get used to it.