By dsamanthas - 23/02/2014 08:10 - United States - Covina

Today, after being worried for a week because my dog wasn't eating, I paid the vet $120 for her to tell me that my dog doesn't like her dog food. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 659
You deserved it 8 328

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened and why OP went to the vet.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#7: Not really. I know FMLs can only be so long, but I got the impression that OP hadn't just switched the dog to a new food that it turns out it didn't like, but instead the dog just stopped eating what it had been eating fine before. We don't really know how it happened in OP's case, but if my dog (who has been on the same food for about 3 years) suddenly stopped eating, I wouldn't automatically think, "She must've just randomly stopped liking this food she's been eating for years."

Comments

Maybe your dog said to himself, " I'm not eating another can of that horse meat shit, I'd rather starve to death first." It's not like he could tell you.

Then you'll change her dog food five times and she still won't eat any of the foods you try. So you'll bring her back to the vet next week, get charged another $120 to walk through the door, then an additional $200 for tests to find out your dog is dying. Then the vet will give you the option of paying.$2000 for a surgery with a 60% success rate, or $100 to have your dog killed at a 100% success rate. And you thought the medical system for humans was ****** up.

@28 Yep, vets are kind of stupid, at least from my experience. When my dog Cashew was about 3, he started having hip and knee problems. We even took him to specialist who told us what was wrong. The vets kept acting like we'd either have to pay thousands of dollars for hip replacement surgery or we'd probably have to put him down soon. We've managed to keep his weight down and he's been happy and relatively free of pain for years. He's about 10 now and he's old so it's starting to bother him more but he's still relatively happy, here's to another 1 or 2 years.

I CAN'T CALM DOWN! I JUST ANAL CHUGGED A FIVE HOUR ENERGY! WHY IS THE ROOM SPINNING???

Well that escalated quickly. They do offer pet health insurance in some places, you know.

#40- So that's why your anus is all itchy, but why did you try to blame it on your boyfriend?

obviously if your dog continues to not eat its food you go to a different vet and im sorry but theres no magical cure for terminal illness that vets are hiding from people so if your dogs dying then there really arent many options if you dont want to have to pay for your dogs medical bills then dont get a dog or get some kind of medical insurance for the dog im sure there are companies who do that

let me guess your a google doctor. You obviously have no concept of the costs associated with becoming a vet or maintaining a practice. shit costs money. dont like it dont get a pet.

On the plus side, I deep cleaned my apartment, discovered the cure for cancer, and mastered the art of origami, all in two hours. In all seriousness though, I wasn't accusing veterinarians in general, or any one in particular, of fraud or malpractice. I was just saying it sucks when you take the time and energy to take your animal to the vet and spend hundreds, perhaps even thousands of dollars, on tests and office fees just to find out that your pet is going to die regardless and there's nothing you can do about it. Hopefully OP's vet was right the first time and his dog just has a case of pickeeitis.

\ 28

For the love of all things pure, who charges to kill an animal?

it costs money to euthanize and animal. drugs doctor time and waste or disposal. or if owner wants burial or cremation. nothings free

Dress up like a dog, come up too the door, and when she opens the door and tries to find out what's going on, punch the bitch, and run

tyroneg2014 0

$120 why so much? Hopefully that price included other things like his annual check up and updating shots that were due etc... True, you should have switched (or switched back) the dog's food to investigate on you own. Failure on your part. It's easy to worry when your pet's habits change. My cat stopped eating. I was worried and switched foods. Didn't help. Turned out he had a broken canine tooth that needed extraction. He looks funny when he meows with it missing.

I would imagine an emergency doc for that price. but depends on area. could ser that cost in some rich Hamptons or bev hills

kmaskmaster 3

This fml has already been posted before. There is one either exactly like it or very similar, but much older.

Try adding a bit of gravy to the food that you normally get. My dog was very picky to begin with. She didn't like hers but once we added a bit of an incentive every so often she perked right up and won't eat anything else. It is good that you took him/her to the vet. Sometimes the problems with not eating can be a lot worse like lymphoma (my old dog had that) it can be quite scary when they won't eat. Personally I feel that $120 isn't a lot to pay to ensure your fur baby's safety.

$120 is a lot to pay for some people, most vets require you to pay all fees before service is rendered, making it impossible for some people to even be able put their pet's down if they are ill and suffering.

flynryder 7

I had to put my cat down. They took it in the back room did it then they told me it was a hundred bucks. What a rip off. A bullet is 50 cents

I actually agree, 54. It's ridiculous how much some vets charge to kill your pet, something anybody could do. If you ever need to have a pet put down again, I suggest taking them to a non profit vet. They usually do it for free.

I can understand that $120 is a lot of money to some people. I am a student myself. The OP was complaining about wasting money on a simple response not the money itself. Personally I paid out $6000 every 3 weeks for treatment for lymphoma just to give my boy a few more happy comfortable months. He was only 6 years old. I didn't have the money but I found a way. I took a second job and dropped out of school for a while. Pets are family for those who keep posting nasty things. You would do the same for your child as I would for my dog because she is my baby.