By aintgotnoteeth - 19/07/2016 17:53

Today, after 6 dentist visits, 2 root canals, and $1,500 that I'll likely have to sell vital organs to pay, the agonizing tooth pain I've had for months is unrelenting. Apparently, shrugging and offering to experimentally yank all my bottom teeth is my smurf-shit of a dentist's actual plan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 319
You deserved it 1 146

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If a root canal didn't fix the tooth, which literally removes the "root" or nerve ending from the tooth, and didn't stop the pain, removing your teeth might be the only viable option. I am not a dentist though. However, a lot of tooth pain is not actually caused by teeth. While on deployment, the entire right side of my body slammed into a windshield at 30 MPH. I found out when I got home, all the teeth on that side had fractured. All needed crowns, a lot had root canals. I have a small mouth and the pressure from the crowns caused constant pain. Or at least I thought it was the pressure. But my cheekbone apparently also collapsed a little, messing with my sinus passages. This made them more prone to infection. I kept going back to the dentist because of the pain, when really it was a sinus infection. It's really hard to tell the difference. It doesn't help that sometimes it's both. That was $6k worth of work. Sorry for the long response and probably TMI, but it might be helpful to check into the sinus thing, it's more common than I knew.

This sounds really weird OP, but have you ever had your sinuses checked up on? I have chronic sinusitis and because of all of the connected nerves, I normally get frequent tooth aches and nerve pain associated with teeth. I thought for a long time it was my teeth, but it's actually due to my sinuses being inflamed. I'm sorry you have found no relief in your pain. :( Try to think of things you wouldn't though! You'd be surprised that one visit to check your sinuses or anything else could help with (presumed) unrelated pain. Good luck!

Comments

Superbaker123 14

Check for trigeminal neuralgy. It's not teeth, it's trigeminal nerve inflammation.

I second this. I know someone who has been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and it is a terrible disease, so I truly hope you don't have it. But it does often start as inexplicable tooth pain.

What do you expect them to do? They've done everything that should be the cause of it. They're not miracle workers or wizards.

I mean when you go to a doctor or something of that nature who have been specialized and trained for fixing and helping physical problems, then.... you expect them to help fix the problem?

How about some for really real troubleshooting? Does the pain go away after a round of antibiotics? X-ray imaging to rule out certain anomalies? How bout a basic freaking ice test? Dentist may have encyclopedic knowledge of all things dental related but that certainly doesn't give them an excuse for poor critical thinking.

sydney_gray 11

This EXACT situation happened to my mom. Look up Trigeminal Neuralgia. It's basically nerve damage in the face caused by dental mishaps. Hers was caused by a root canal. It's very similar to MS and can be helped with the same drugs.

PrimeStarscream 30

You should get that checked out via xrays because it might be an issue with your jawbone rather than your actual teeth.

It's allergy season. Some people get tooth and jaw pain from the sinus pressure. If you've ever had ear infections - especially as an adult- the chance of it happening are even higher. You're already in pain and have nothing to lose - try a good decongestant and antihistamine and see if that helps. You'll know in just a couple of days whether it's allergies/sinus or not.

I had the same - have already spent about £5000 on two teeth due to unidentifiable pain... root canals and caps for both. I now have a new, much better private dentist who managed to save both teeth last year (the previous NHS dentist just wanted to extract them after all that work had been done and the pain didn't go away.) The new dentist has now discovered that a. the root of one of the teeth is fractured, b. That is most likely what was causing the original pain and c. The tooth will have to come out. Given that that tooth's fractured root seems to have been the problem to start with, the other tooth most likely didn't need root canal treatment. :/ Anywho, long story short: Find a better dentist, OP and maybe check inflammation around the roots and gums via x-ray. It could be a fracture like mine.

Could be worse, I had my dentist audibly say "whoops!" While performing oral surgery when he saw my look of panic he was like "no need to worry" and snips something, once the swelling in the mouth went down I was able to see the scar on the side of my tongue where the dentist "accidentally" sewed my tongue to my gum. Glad he caught it but still.

My teeth need work, but only really hurt when oral herpes induced shingles in my nose.(I was only 41, darnit.) I was afraid my dental issues had gotten significanly worse, but when it settled down it's no longer always tooth hurty on my face clock.