By happy21sttome - 15/06/2015 13:39 - United Kingdom

Today, after 5 years in a row of my family doing absolutely nothing to even acknowledge my birthday, I got train tickets to see my boyfriend for the weekend and celebrate with him. I woke up to 6 angry texts about how I'm 'selfish' for not staying at home with my family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 380
You deserved it 2 416

Same thing different taste

Top comments

expertsmilee 26

You took the midnight train going anywhere?

Wow that's awful of them. If I were you I just ignore it and have great birthday. Happy birthday OP!

Comments

expertsmilee 26

You took the midnight train going anywhere?

No, not Georgia, silly! The train was headed to south Detroit for OP to meet her city boy.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

#1, you dick that's as bad as getting Rickrolled. Time for turkey baster and gasoline to get the earworm out.

she took the midnight train going anywhere.

#16 and I had the same thoughts haha. I was thinking the Midnight Train to Georgia (song by Gladys Knight), but later on in the thread I realized it was Don't Stop Believing by Journey lol.

Wow that's awful of them. If I were you I just ignore it and have great birthday. Happy birthday OP!

I completely agree. Go spend your birthday with someone who cares about you!

Sure you can. Sharing blood doesn't mean family. A "family" is born of bonds of love and respect.

noonenoeone 22

Umm, no not by definition it's not.

Who cares about the exact definition? We're not a dictionary.

Ok let me rephrase, Sadly you can't choose the people you share DNA with, better?

You can't pick your family. But friends are the family you get to pick.

tantanpanda 26

#23, just playing the devil's advocate, you can kind of choose who to have sex with and by doing so, you are sharing your DNA (sperm) with said person.

I picked my family. I was adopted and was old enough to have a say in who I wanted to live with.

dantee2005 33

Well at least u celebrate your birthday. Like you are suppose to

Did they know you were leaving or was it out of the blue? Granted they still probably weren't going to do much for your birthday im sure they would've liked a heads up or something. Either way, happy birthday OP!

I kind of agree. If op is living at home (which I assume she is) I hope she let her parents know she was going to be gone for the weekend. It's a common curtesy to let your parents know if you're sleeping over somewhere else so they don't worry about you when you don't come home that night. But either way, it sucks they don't celebrate your birthday.

If they're such shitty family that they do nothing to celebrate her birthday and then complain about her selfishness when she goes to visit someone that actually cares, it's entirely possible that they would have argued with her and tried to guilt her into staying at home. Perhaps OP did not want to deal with that.

Cooper201288 16

you are absolutely spot on. my boyfriend's family is this way. they are incredibly selfish and everything is about them and their appearance. the only time they care if he comes around is if they are having a party where they have to portray this big perfect family.

OP sounds like just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world

Hunkapoo 19

how crappy, forget them for today and have a good time!

You're allowed to be selfish on your birthday. Hope the weekend went well otherwise

Well no cake for them! Happy birthday anyway!

it's not exactly nice of them to blame you for not wasting their present if they bought it for you with the intention of you visiting your boyfriend

OP assumed her family wasn't going to celebrate her birthday, so she bought the ticket herself.