By NotThePotty - 19/10/2015 10:15 - United States - San Francisco

Today, according to daycare, my son is behind in his potty training curriculum because we are not "celebrating his natural bodily functions" enough. He turned 2 a week ago, and he peed on our bed last night because we're trying to meet this demand. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 502
You deserved it 2 999

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tell him to celebrate his bodily functions all over his teacher

According to pediatrician Emmi Pikler 95% of all children manage to successfully use the toilet during the day by the time they turn three without forcing it onto them. The daycare needs to chill.

Comments

Wow, I bet you were pissed. EDIT: Dammit #5, you beat me to it!

yeah when daycare people tell me how to take care of my kid i would be a little pissed. im sure they dont know what they are talking about they probably only know this from a book not from experience. i would tell them to go screw themselves.

As much as I think they're pushing it a bit early, I'm sure they have experience. You can't help but have experience in this if you work at a daycare, it's happening every day.

Whether they have experience or not, every kid is different. My daughter fought potty-training tooth and nail until after she was 3. My stepson was fully potty-trained right after he turned 2. Every kid will do it at their own pace, but forcing it on them will upset them and exacerbate the situation. Parents know what's best for their kids, not the people working in the daycare.

emmer132010 9

Please don't lump all daycare workers together simply because of one or two "opinionated" workers. Any childcare worker worth their salt knows that potty training is child specific and will be different for each one. Some are ready at two or before and it's easy to pick up on those signs because we work with the kids every day. We also know when kids have absolutely no interest and we don't force it. At least at the daycares I've been in, pottying is viewed as a routine for those kids who are training. They sit, they go/don't go, wash hands, etc. That being said, we also tailor our routine to what the kids respond to best. Do they need an m&m after going for encouragement? Do they do well on their own but take their sweet time at it? All of these contingencies factor into our changing/pottying routine. Plus, kids often act differently between home and daycare. Perhaps OP's child does really well with positive reinforcement (keep in mind, peers are likely pottying as well, monkey see-monkey do) but struggles at home simply because of the environment or schedule change? I have one boy (who I've sat with before) who does fantastically at home. Potties like a pro! But at daycare, he's often distracted by the extra goings-on in the room. Going to the bathroom is a novelty almost; so many toilets, so much flushing, let me stick my face right in there to get a better look! Haha, each kid is different, and daycare workers probably know more than you think about the stages of early development. OP's daycare apparently forgot kids develop at different rates and tried to judge the boy based on where *they* think he should be. Often we share advice/tips or even give typical developments for the kids' age when asked, but it's a bit out of line to say a parent is doing something wrong...

My wife and I potty trained our daughter in three days over a long weekend back in May. She's now 2.5 years old. We sat her on the potty. When she went, we did a little celebration. Then we waited 5 minutes. We asked he if she needed to potty and encouraged her to tell us if she had to go (we were also deliberately encouraging her to drink her water or milk). Repeat three times. When she did it three times in a row without an accident (and if she had an accident we told her it was ok, to try again) then we upped the time between potty breaks to 15 minutes. Three times of successful potty breaks, then we upped the time again to 30 minutes. At the end of the three days, she was successfully telling us when she had to go, and moving to the potty at the same time. It's worth a shot. It worked for us. It might work for you, although I've heard boys are not so easily or quickly trained as girls. Either way, you're the parents, and you know what's best for your child.

Wow that's pretty impressive. It took me longer to be potty trained. I ended up being potty trained pretty late. It wasn't until I was 7 that I got out of daytime diapers and then bedwetting went into my teens sadly.

This is how most preschools potty train. As someone who has worked at three preschools each time in the 2-3 year old room, otherwise know as the potty training room, yes sometimes potty training at exactly two years old can be hard but it ends up being easier on everyone. I'm sure what they meant by "celebrating" his natural body functions is just to clap and praise him. If they meant to throw a party every time he doesn't piss himself then they may be ******* crazy.

BeenIt 5

Boys proved to be more of a challenge for me. I have two girls and two boys, so I've plenty of experience to pull from. The rumor is true. Congrats though.

My son's been pretty easy so far and he's just a week away from being two. Some kids just like the potty more.

My baby brother turned two yesterday, how could they expect that to happen !?

I dunno, I would think turning two would be a pretty expected thing for a one-year-old to do on their birthday.

Yes, and teach him his farts must be heard, otherwise he might be one of the silent majority.

You know what's best for your child, OP. No need to rush, just do whatever works best for you and your child. Good luck!

Tell his teachers u dont give a bodily fluid

A lot of people think they know how to raise your kids better than you do. Just keep doing your best everyday

mds9986 24

If only kids just had instruction books.

snowbunnie408 11

as a preschool teacher, i can say that's ridiculous. children potty train on their own schedule you cant force them. we have some almost three year olds still working on it