By notyourparkingspot - 25/05/2017 16:00 - Canada - Edmonton

Today, a guy who lives in my condo complex threatened to take my husband and me to small claims court. Why? He was mad about the $300 fine to get his truck back after it was towed, because he was parked in our spot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 337
You deserved it 364

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Let him! He won't win + counter-sue him at the same time for wasting your/ court's time. Anybody can sue anybody else for anything; it doesn't mean that the plaintiff is guaranteed to win though. Hang in there! :-)

I have no pity left for spot-stealers. My spot in my building is numbered. In a private lot. AND mine used to be the handicapped spot- it still has the picture on the pavement but no sign. And people still steal it about once per month. I used to be nicer about it, but after years and years of having my dinner get cold in the car while trying to find the jackass who took my spot, hell yes I call the tow truck right away. Can't be bothered to find a legal spot for your car? Why should I put the extra effort in to save you from the clear consequences of that? But they'll always whine "I was only there for a minute" and "where was I supposed to park?" Those are your problems, spot stealing scum, and you decided to make them mine. I solved it with a tow truck.

Comments

Lucky O'Guin 18

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

In a condo building it's kind of hard because you don't know exactly where he lives

Not sure why this is downvoted. you really should try and get the person to move it first. if not, then call a tow truck

how about don't be a dick and park in someone spot in the first place.

If it's assigned parking, he knew it was someone else's space and shouldn't park there. They owe him nothing for him refusing to follow the rules.

Its not his fault that person didnt wanna follow the rules

Let him! He won't win + counter-sue him at the same time for wasting your/ court's time. Anybody can sue anybody else for anything; it doesn't mean that the plaintiff is guaranteed to win though. Hang in there! :-)

I used to have to go to small claims court all the time for work. Ever since, I call it "Small People's Court" (partly due to the resemblance to the TV show, "The People's Court," and partly due to the number of times I heard people screaming, "I WANT MY TWENTY DOLLARS!"). I second the advice to let him take you to small claims and to countersue for wasted time and costs. Then tell him to give you his phone number so that the next time he does this, you can call him and give him a chance to move it before you call the tow truck. Remind him that you're supposed to be neighbors and get along, but if he wants to be small and petulant about it, you'll play on his field, too.

I have no pity left for spot-stealers. My spot in my building is numbered. In a private lot. AND mine used to be the handicapped spot- it still has the picture on the pavement but no sign. And people still steal it about once per month. I used to be nicer about it, but after years and years of having my dinner get cold in the car while trying to find the jackass who took my spot, hell yes I call the tow truck right away. Can't be bothered to find a legal spot for your car? Why should I put the extra effort in to save you from the clear consequences of that? But they'll always whine "I was only there for a minute" and "where was I supposed to park?" Those are your problems, spot stealing scum, and you decided to make them mine. I solved it with a tow truck.

chance85 5

In some states handicap spot is not legal unless it has both painted the painted marking and the sign.

Lucky O'Guin 18

It has to have a posted sign. Painted symbols are a suggestion, it must have a posted sign to be legal.

Not in all states. Some it's either, some it's both, some it's one or the other.

Not saying it's legally a handicap spot, just that you're an EXTRA douche if you steal a numbered, private lot spot that is differentiated with handicap marks. Out of date or not, who sees the person in a chair symbol and goes "ooh, free spot!"

chance85 5

You were the one who mentioned that your spot was a handicap spot. That got stolen. Sheesh.

To many people claiming what OP did was wrong...what ever happened to personal accountability for your own actions? some apartments or condos you have 1-2 spots. so if someone has an extra vehicle they bring and park in your spot which you PAY FOR with rent it screws you into the position of illegally parking. They KNEW it wasn't there spot and parked there anyways. you knew the consequences yet you do it anyways makes it YOUR fault. Personally responsibility.

Lobby_Bee 17

This is one of those rare times which slamming your door in somebody's face is acceptable. Keep towing their car until they learn not to park in YOUR spot.

Lucky O'Guin 18

Is it really worth it to have to take the time off work to go to court for the inconvenience of someone parking in your spot, not to mention now having to live with the offended neighbor? I might understand if OP is a handicapped person or there is absolutely no other option to calling a tow truck, but really, this seems like a situation where being neighborly might have saved some time and headaches. We don't know the details of why he parked in that spot, maybe someone parked in his. Maybe he had a sick child, or some other emergency. Maybe it's just me, but I think automatically calling a tow truck for a first offense is kind of a dick move. Maybe he just moved in or maybe he doesn't know which spot is who's. I can understand if it happens repeatedly, but really, the first time?

mariri9206 32

Maybe it's not the first offense. If someone parked in his spot, that doesn't give him the right to park in someone else's spot - he should've called the tow truck on them, if that were the case. And he wasn't exactly being neighborly by taking a spot that wasn't his so why should he be let off the hook in an effort for OP to be neighborly and keep the peace when he could have not been a jerk and steal someone else's spot in the first place? It's not on OP to be neighborly - it's the spot stealer's. Also, golden rule: treat someone how you want to be treated. If the spot stealer really wanted to be neighborly, he shouldn't have taken a spot that wasn't his.

ImminentDisaster 12

Surely both on both people to be neighbourly. And like Lucky said, maybe it's not the first time and maybe the guy had a reason other than being an inconsiderate dick.

So let him take you to court, it will cost him even more!

gan-1991 5

Hey guys! OP here. Enjoying reading through all your comments! As usual, not enough characters on here to explain the full story. We normally park on the street, but once in a while, my husband parks his car in our spot. On Friday when he came home, someone else was parked there, and he realized that he actually needed to use the spot as he was leaving in a couple days to go away for almost three weeks (and didn't want to leave his car on the street the whole time). He'd been busy with planning this trip, and parking was the least thing on his mind. He knocked on a few doors around the complex, but couldn't figure out who was there, so he just called the towing company. That evening we had TWO uninvited visits from the guy who was parked there, angry at us. The following Tuesday morning, I called the condo management company and explained the situation, and they called me back on Wednesday and told me they spoke to the guy and told him he should have never been parked there. I mean yes, we could have been more considerate and left a note on his windshield, but calling the towing company also wasn't wrong. Oh well, hopefully he learned his lesson!

I don't get how you leaving a spot on his window is even mentioned as a "considerate" option. You have no idea when he'll be back down to his car, if he'll see the note, and if he'll take the hint. People need to learn what the actual considerate way to go is for spot stealing- if you steal the spot, YOU leave a note in your own windshield with your phone number in case the spot owner comes back. Then they can call you to move immediately.

I don't want to be "that" person, but with you saying he came over twice to complain at you and now is threatening a lawsuit for him breaking the law is considered in many places criminal intimidation. I would let the condo management company and the police know just in case a "accident" happens to your car.