This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By leavemealone - 15/06/2017 02:00 - Australia - Saint Lucia

Today, a guy in a coffee shop was trying to chat me up, when he noticed a ring on my finger and asked if I was married. In a stroke of regrettable honesty, I told him no, the ring was my mother's, who died when I was young. He said I probably shouldn't wear it because "men'll just get confused." FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 382
You deserved it 1 007

Top comments

The guy was being straight up and honest, right? He wasn't going to mess around with a married woman and let you know his concerns. Seems good to me, or am I missing something?

It should be on your right hand not your left.

Comments

If she's not trying to find a partner, yes, who cares if it confuses men. If I were out and wanted guys to take interest in me though, I wouldn't want to talk to the kind of guy who would try to chat me up while I'm wearing a wedding ring on my left ring finger. There are other fingers, other times, and other ways to wear it! He's probably trying to make a helpful point - only he made the mistake of assuming that you were interested in him.

I mean, he's not wrong. I've used my wedding rings to fend off men before. It has no effect on scumbags though, they wont respect your (imagined) marriage. So it's nice he even noticed it and asked.

*sigh* And people think that male entitlement isn't a thing... If anything, he should wonder if there's maybe something wrong with the world if he thinks that other mens' poor confused feelings are more important than OP's emotional comfort, especially if OP isn't currently looking to date, which sounds like it is the case here.

I'm really on the fence with this... I can understand the desire to wear something in memoriam, but when it comes to rings - especially engagement and wedding rings, it can really throw people out. This doesn't restrict itself to "dating" either, seen plenty of people start wearing wedding/engagement rings on their left ring finger and get a stack of "aww congratulations.. didn't know you were seeing one" or "did you guys elope?" type comments - awkward af when they had to explain it 11ty million times. Bottom line: feel free to wear what you want, how you want but also be prepared for question about it. They guy in the FML sounds like a bit of a dick about it but considering how many males straight up ignore wedding/engagement rings this person is at least partially more decent than others.