By ginkobiloba - 29/11/2016 11:01

Today, a door-to-door salesman came to my apartment. I was too lazy to change from my teddy bear print pajamas, fuzzy socks and pink slippers when opening the door to him. He took one look at me and asked, "Hello darling, are your mommy and daddy home?" I'm 22 and live here on my own. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 213
You deserved it 1 795

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't see how this is a problem...seems like a great way to avoid a sales pitch. Could be because it's happened to me before, and I've just gone with it. Blessings in disguise.

Comments

tltk 4

I've had that before, when I was about 27. I replied "probably, but in their own homes", then shut the door.

While I do use my baby face to brush off charity fundraisers, I think OP was offended by how the salesman assumed they are a child because of the clothing they wore. It's the assumption that an adult can't wear cosy PJs with cute themes etc that made the salesman incredibly patronising. I hope you were able to clarify the situation OP and that you received your apology.

You would think that people who comment on FML would be able to recognize sarcasm and snarkiness. Apparently not all of them.

I guess I understand that it may be patronizing, but I refuse to let others opinions of my actions, clothing or appearance offend me. Nor do I need or want their apology. And while you're holding your breath waiting for one, the world moves on. I look incredibly young for my age, I am short and also love wearing comfy pjs in my own home. Or wherever I so choose. When someone mistakes my age, I choose to take it as a compliment and feel flattered, whether they meant it that way or not. Many things in life are about perspective and how you choose to view them. I find my reaction often influences theirs. But if you want to assume we all have missed the message and sarcasm (rather than maybe choosing a different reaction) meh.

species4872 19

#31 Well said, I too never get offended, life is too short without worrying about the crap that people say, or do.

neuronerd 28

I'm 33 and wear things like that (my hello kitty romper pjs are my favorite), but I also never answer my door unless I'm expecting someone, because I'm mature like that.

And that's why you've made it to 33. People who open the door to "door-to-door salesmen" sometimes don't.

And yet, using the phrase "because I'm mature like that" makes you sound not only slightly immature, but also like a stuck-up asshole. Since when is it immature to answer the door without expecting someone? Risky, maybe, but that's why people have door locks and peepholes. Sometimes it's just someone dropping off a package or a neighbor being nice. Sometimes it's nothing because some ******** kid decided to play ding-dong ditch. The point is, it doesn't make you "mature" to not open your door unless you know who's there. It makes you cautious, and probably safer, but it has nothing to do with maturity.

What exactly does not opening the door when you don't know who's there have to do with maturity? It's safer, yeah, but that's why we have locks on our doors and peepholes. It's not really a maturity issue.

I get the same stuff even when I'm dressed for work. People need to stop judging age based on size and really look. If you look at my face, I do look a bit younger, but not as young as people assume looking at my size.

I've had calls where the telemarketers have asked for my parents. I just say, sorry the funeral was yesterday, they stutter an apology and hang up quickly.

But the poor guy didn't know, it was just a mistake

boredgirl_02 14

I got that around 25... even in normal pjs. It was just easier to say no. After a while if they are smart they will say, 'is the homeowner home?' During that year I got stopped at a mall for curfew(they thought I was under 15). Now I'm 32 and I think I look early 20s

Legal age to take that with a grain of salt and a margarita.... but hey at least you have your youth