Technically speaking, what's up?
For those interested, here's an explanation of what I'm doing, what I'm going to do, and what I've already done. This article will be updated as often as possible with fresh news from the matrix - overly geek reference - but I imagine that's how you see me anyway, right?
But... who is this guy?
Yes, let's start with introductions. My pseudonym and username on FML is fleox. My role at Betacie (FML, VDM, Vida HP, etc.) is, unfortunately, to deal with the submerged part of the iceberg, that horrible thing that no one wants to think about: the technology. The code. If you speak my language, you'll easily understand: 0110011001101100011001010110111101111000, right? It's ok, to each his own work and accompanying jargon (it goes without saying that I can't talk about most of my work issues with my wife and kids).
Ok cool, but what's this about January?
After about 10 years of loyal service, it was time to redo the engine to ensure the evolution and durability of FML. I was well aware of the difficulty that it represented, but also that it wouldn't be possible to re-integrate the functions of the site and the apps, because we couldn't do in 6 months what took 10 years to build. That being said, it was still a necessary task in order to lay a solid foundation for the future.
Uh... wasn't it better before?
No, as you will have understood and no doubt seen, on January 2nd we put the new architecture online and, although I suspected that there would be a few problems, I never imagined there would be so many. The first, and worst, was that we could not hold the load and that the site and apps were totally unavailable. The first priority was to solve this problem and believe me, it was not easy.
The migrants aren't only in Greece...
When we talk about new architecture (not talking about buildings, obviously), we're also talking about a new database, and if we do a new database, we have to migrate all the data from the old to the new... It's here that I started to scare myself. To help you understand, here's a little data:
- 4,670,000 users
- 4,000,000,000 votes "I agree, your life sucks" or "YDI" (a little more but I'm within 100,000)
- 27,000,000 profile visits
- 40,000,000 favorites
- 9,000,000 comments
I could go on and on... In short, it was necessary to write programs to get the users into their new home and attach each vote, visit, favorite, comment, etc. to the right user. I understand that this isn't your problem, but at least it explains things like, for example, the fact that on such a large scale it's possible (or even more than possible - certain) that some data is lost or is poorly formatted.
Ok great, but we don't care. Where does that leave us?
What's clear is that we're doing better than we were on January 2nd, and better than we were yesterday. I try to correct new things every day, but the requests are numerous and my to-do list never shrinks. I try to maintain high morale (not easy) in order to improve the service and manage priorities to meet as many of your requests as possible.
We set the bar very high, perhaps a little too high, but let's be crazy and dream together of a better FML. It will take time but we're a community and we must support ourselves even in difficult times. That's why I propose a meow-a-thon to support fleox. Let's save fleox!
Is this guy on drugs?
I'll stop you right there, never any drugs or alcohol, not even a beer (ok ok, a Monaco from time to time). Back to serious matters - here is a general breakdown of what's in progress:
IOS BETA TEST
The newest version of the FML application (also 100% redone) is undergoing Beta testing. If you want to participate, you can send me your iTunes account email via FML messaging.
ON THE TO-DO LIST:
- Review rankings of moderators
- Reimport comments + dates (yes, again)
- Update the number of visits
- "Brand Page" function (for the site)
- Retrieve badges for each user
- February 22: final import of the votes (I agree... and YDI)
- February 22: correction of re-submission of comments on page refresh
- February 22: removal of gifs after comment (it was really a silly idea anyway...)
- February 21: the button at the bottom of FML Random is added.
- February 21: re-import of dates of birth.
- February 21: correction of e-mails (only if user has checked box in profile)
- February 20: Android application update (fixed keyword display, almost FML, FML share, FML random, and widget loading)
- February 20: added "Almost FML" in Android Apps
- February 20: new iOS beta test
- February 20: update iOS / Android VDM Medics
- February 17: updating number (total) of comments, hugs, favorites for each user
- February 16: re-import of comments (those who were cut)
- February 14: launch new Android application VDM / FML
ANDROID APP, DELIVERY SCHEDULE:
Thursday, February 23:
- Modification of the profile when the user is not logged on to display the parameters
Thursday, March 2:
- Male / Female Indicators
- Discovering profiles
- Deleting a conversation
Thursday 24 March:
ANDROID APP - IN PROGRESS:
- Return to Top Page
- Reset bookmark function
- Male / Female indicators for FMLs
- Access to settings without account
- Function to discover new profiles + users to the poster
- Being unable to declare relationship status
ANDROID / IOS APPS - THINGS TO DO:
- Filter unread FMLs in Random
- Be able to delete a conversation (chat)
- Night mode
That's it for today. We'll come back to you as soon as we have news!
Hugs and kisses,