By Grad Student - 13/01/2018 15:00

Today, I found out that I have to take a weekly workshop outside of class time all semester, and it's only offered on the day I have the most work hours. I barely make ends meet as it is, but the professor said to figure it out or fail. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 843
You deserved it 327

Same thing different taste

Top comments

manb91uk 22

I’d speak to your employer... Graduate school is vastly more advanced and is expected to take priority

neuronerd 28

As much as it's not reasonable for many students, outside employment during grad school is discouraged. Many programs offer stipends for either being a TA or graduate researcher, but, as someone who's had to live off of one, I understand how hard that is to live off of (there were some weeks I was living off of canned tuna).

Comments

In grad school, there’s no such thing as “outside of class hours.” You’re supposed to eat, sleep and breathe your subject. That’s what makes an advanced degree special.

exileonmainst 16

And then you move in with your subject, get married and eventually have children with it. Fast forward about 20 years and the children have moved out and you’re left alone with your subject, but things aren’t what they used to be anymore. In spite of that you stick with your subject because you’re too old to change now. Even further down the line you’re just left with feelings of what could’ve been...

Moving in and marriage = doctoral program and Phd Children = the little pitter-patter of your own TAs Left alone with your subject = you are now a department head

Your analogy is pretty funny, but it’s not quite accurate. I can dip into as many other subjects as I like with my main subject getting all pissy and demanding half of my shit. I can also arrange threesomes where I get my main subject with new ones and see what happens.

That just means your main subject is in the *liberal* arts

No, I’m in the *hard* sciences — a *discipline* that requires a lot of *experimentation* ;) ;) ;)

manb91uk 22

I’d speak to your employer... Graduate school is vastly more advanced and is expected to take priority

tarabella 7

ouch i'm sorry :( getting a decent education is getting harder and harder these days. i fear soon it'll be a luxury for rich people only

That’s how America is going to become great again! If we reserve opportunity for the elite only, there’s no chance that dirty underclass people can break into their ranks. Is this the America you want to live in?

thehaystackerine 20

everyone told me I was stupid, but I paid $5,000 for a 4 week training course, got my commercial driver's license. made my $5,000 back in my first month on the job.

And how do you expect OP to find the time and money to do that on top of his studies, workshop and job? Giving up sleep?

neuronerd 28

As much as it's not reasonable for many students, outside employment during grad school is discouraged. Many programs offer stipends for either being a TA or graduate researcher, but, as someone who's had to live off of one, I understand how hard that is to live off of (there were some weeks I was living off of canned tuna).

One of my fellow TAs drives home every weekend (over 100 miles) to work as a delivery driver for a family member's pizzeria. She said she probably wouldn't make ends meet otherwise.

If you have to spend all your time at school you can save money by giving up your apartment.

I had a six hour class three in lab and three out of lab...I just changed my work availability for no mornings to work on my in lab quicker...and get back to the way things were..shuffle your hours...see what can be fixed...

Welcome to the real world, where you can't rely on your parents to solve your problems anymore. Good Luck figuring out what to do to juggle the two.