For 2017, FML's getting a makeover
Hello dear FMLers. First of all, Happy New Year! We know, we said the same thing at the start of 2016 and it REALLY was a shitty year. But let’s not mull it over too much. Did you had a good holiday? Was Santa generous? That was a rhetorical question, not that we don’t care, but mainly because FML has unleashed the bling and has created a 2017 revamped version of our website, a totally different (but not too convoluted) FML. You send us quality stories all year round, so we wanted to make your FMLs more stylish. We’ll explain this in more detail with a short summary of the makeover.
- The makeover necessarily began with a choice of colors, so there are new ones everywhere. OK, not that many. The two blues used go together like the beautiful ocean and sky of the Moroccan coast, and we added a slightly orangey red which reminds us of the desert, at bit like FML which is populated uniquely by cactuses.
- In addition to colors, the overall design of the site will changed. You will discover new functions, all of it them more clear and with ergonomics worthy of a Top Gun fighter plane. No, there isn’t an “ejector seat" button for the comment trolls, but hopefully there will be soon.
- We’ve also brought a social side to the FML universe. You now have “Your FML", in the shape of a wall for your own personal anecdotes to share with your friends, but of course, without losing the homepage, your moderator votes, which lead to the publication of Almost FMLs, which can then become official FMLs. Yes, it sounds complicated, but it’s really not. To access all this stuff, like your own personal wall of shame (well, the ability to post your own FMLs privately), you’ll need an account. And know that now the account you have on FML will work on all our other websites (like the French and Spanish versions of FML, etc.)
Erm, and what if we're lost? Will everything work?
It might take a short while for you to get used to everything, an adaptation period will be required obviously, not only for you users, but also for certain functions. Such a major change to a website takes time, and there will be a couple of bugs. Which might not even be bugs. Buglets. For example:
- It is possible that some accounts may be duplicated, since everyone is now gathered globally. If you are having trouble signing in to your account, send us a short email to [email protected]
- Your votes will take a long time to be reintegrated, so don't worry if you find that your account seems to not have voted on a lot of FMLs. All this will slowly come back to normal.
- Badges: same thing as for the votes. You’ll see that there are not as many "available" as before. In the end, there will be about 80, but with this launch, everything will not yet be in place and there will not be as many displayed as usual. Don’t worry: you’ll soon be back to hunting and unlocking those badges!
And what about my ranking? I'm Top Gun around here!
For the moderation enthusiasts who keep checking out their position in the ranks, it will no longer be a quarterly chart but a monthly one. We will also organize a Mod of the month contest, with things to win, but we’ll tell you a bit more about that in a few days. The moderation ranking was reset to zero at the beginning of January, which was expected anyway, so now you can go for it, and vote, vote, vote and in a month, you might win something. We don’t know what yet, but it will be something between the matchbox and a Buick.
Well, that's about it for now. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask us, either in the comments under the article or at [email protected]
And lastly... Happy New Year, FML style!